Monday, March 9, 2015

DOING MY DUTY


I have been called for Jury Duty this week. It means getting up early. I am a night owl. It means driving downtown. It means parking in a designated place, far away, not in handicapped. It means walking quite a distance to get to the courthouse. Then… more walking to get to the assigned court room. It is up on the second floor. I do not know if they have an elevator? With my mobility issues... not sure I can do this, without collapsing... before I get there. I hope there will be someplace, to sit along the way, and then… while waiting to go inside. Therefore, I am not looking forward to this. Not to mention the fact…. I do not want gruesome images in my mind. In my everyday life, I avoid blood and gore, at all costs. I hate hospitals. I do not watch TV shows or see movies that are violent in nature. I also do not read books or see news footage that is either. So I’m hoping I get picked for a boring civil case and not a murder. Of course since I’ll be sworn to secrecy I won’t be able to share it with you. Maybe the case will get settled before it goes to trial and they won’t need me. Fingers are crossed. I could get lucky. On the other hand, measly as the daily rate is… I could get paid for all this aggravation. I’m wondering what I could buy with my earnings?


11 comments:

Jean said...

Maybe they will have a handicap place that will be easier on you. A month after I retired I had to be on grand jury for a week, had to be there at 9:00 AM and it lasted until late some nights it was 7:00 PM before I got home. We had to be back on a Saturday to check out places to see what needed to be done, mine was the jail house, ha, pay $55.00. Maybe they pay better where you live. It was an interesting experience.

Jon said...

Your earnings should buy you lunch at Dairy Queen.
I wonder if there's any way you could get out of jury duty - - by explaining your medical issues. I got out of it once by saying that I had to care for my elderly mother (which, at the time, was true).

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I hope it al goes well for you. Sometimes doing ones duty isn't easy at all.

RoeH said...

I plead insanity (which is not far from the truth). I had to do it once and I an never in any mood to do it again. Of course, they'd never pick me because I am too much in favor of the death penalty. :)

betty said...

Maybe you won't get picked at all :) It is good you are doing your civil duty and reporting for jury duty. I served 2 years ago now on a jury, wrote about it in my blog aftewards. One of the judges comes down and does a pep talk for the jurists, telling them how appreciated we were and how often a case will get settled when they see a jury is ready to go to hear it. Mine got settled three days into testimony, I would have liked to see how we would have deliberated, but glad it did get settled. Afterwards the victim's family thanked us for our willingness to serve.

I hope your experience isn't too hard on you emotionally, mentally, or physically.

betty

Paula said...

I would think with your handicap you could get out of it if you contacted them ahead of time. At least here you could. I've served in San Antonio and out here but now I'm too old to be called. I never minded serving other then the parking downtown San Antonio, in fact I found it interesting.

jack69 said...

I hope the trip isn't too much for you. Something about you girls the court system likes. Every where we have lived they have called Sherry, me? not once... I'm just not pretty enough!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I haven't been called yet, but I was notified that my name was selected to serve this year. That makes it about 5 times and I know some people who are never selected at all. So not fair! I'm sorry you have to walk so far and hope you have someplace to sit and rest.

Mevely317 said...

Oh, I hope you can get out of this obligation! Lots of great advice, above; I really can't add anything new. But(!) wanted to let you know I'm sending scads of good wishes for handicap parking, roomy elevators and - if worse comes to worse - nothing more serious than a civil disobedience defendant.

Starting Over, Accepting Changes - Maybe said...

All courthouses (by law) are handicapped accessible. I am sure there will be handicap parking and elevators. I also think that it would have been easy to get out of serving because of your disabilities. However, I hope you have not too difficult a job getting in and out and that you get on an interesting trial.

Red Rose Alley said...

Thinking of you during this time, Taryterre.

love, ~Sheri