Monday, April 11, 2016

MUG SHOTS, A COLLECTION


Life is too short to drink your daily cup of tea, coffee or hot chocolate out of a vessel that does not speak to you. So throughout the years I have taken to collecting MUGS, as opposed to cups. I find them here and there. Some are expensive. Some are cheap. Some have scenery, or unusual designs, others have inspirational verses or holiday decorations.  But they all cater to the mood I’m in at any given moment. This allows  me to enjoy the brew of my choice,  in a unique way, every time I reach for a different mug. What about you? Do you have a favorite mug to drink from? Or are you like me and vary it day to day? I have so many mugs I am running out of  space to store them. They line the cupboards, the walls, the countertops and tables. And one always sits on my desk. Take a gander. 

bears, balloons, flowers, cats
to name a few motifs

mugs spill out on the counter

stack up on the shelves
an anniversary mug is there
hidden away


a mug tree
anchors one end of the counter

holiday mugs

hubby's mugs
the one with planes
features the poem 
HIGH FLIGHT
on the back
fitting because my hubby was a pilot

mug wall
they go all around and under the cabinets

today I needed a little christmas
given the COLD temps and snow
outside...
(with spring nowhere in  sight)
BUT was I drinking something warm
like TEA?
NOPE.
This mug in my hot little hands 
is filled with ICE WATER.

 but the teapot is waiting...

13 comments:

jack69 said...

We have a collection, they usually only come out with company and many conversations are started. HOWEVER I have a favorite, but it has a crack, so I have switched to my old company's cups.
I love your collection, we had to cut back because of space in the motor home.
we don't do it, but I do admire your mindset, set the mood.
Love from the boondocks. Hope you are warming up.

Jon said...

I, too, am admittedly guilty of collecting mugs. I have so many that I don't know where to put them. I prefer smaller ones for coffee and large ones for tea.

I usually choose my mugs according to seasons (and moods). I have Halloween mugs and Christmas ones, etc. etc. I have rainy days mugs and mugs for hot summer weather.....I suppose it's an obsession.

Presently I'm using a tea mug with spring flowers on it - - even though the weather is cold and spring is nowhere in sight.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I have quite a collection of mugs too! Nothing like yours though. A few years ago I managed to pack away a box full of them as I was running out of room. Like you I like a different mug each day and very often I have ice water in mine too.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

nice mug collection!

betty said...

Very colorful mug collection! It is so interesting with all the snow you guys are now getting!

Not fussy with the mugs we use here. Usually I'll just reach for the closest one available. We used to have more but I thinned them down a bit over the moves :)

betty

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre, I so enjoyed your "mug" post today, and I could really relate to it because I collect different tea cups as well. And my cups vary from day to day too. I loved browsing through all your unique cups. The brown ones are so cozy (there's a brown cup of my dads that I'll never give up), and you even have some cheerful yellow ones for when spring arrives. Love your holiday section. :) For some reason, the blue tea cups are always the prettiest to me.

Have a good week, Taryterre. Stay warm with the cold temps you're having.

love, ~Sheri

shortybear said...

I like your mugs

Mevely317 said...

Your collection sure puts mine to shame! I love mugs to distraction, but a while back, I purged everything that didn't speak to my heart/soul on some level or another.

Hubby doesn't 'get it', but I've one for each day of the week - quite OCD in that regard. :) Your Christmas collection gives me an idea to bring ours out in July ... when I think I'd can't stand one more day of this crazy heat.

PS - I had a boss in Florida who collected colored and vintage wine glasses. She, too, claimed to choose the vessel which suited her mood at the moment.

Paula said...

I don't have that big a collection but I like the ones I have and don't stick to a certain one. I do have a special 12 put away that I wrote about in my blog once. They are black with gold lettering and were given with a gasoline fill up. I traded around until I had the entre horoscope set.

Weekend-Windup said...

Wonderful collections of mugs. I am also so crazy about mugs...

Cheryl @ TFD said...

You have a great collection! I love mugs and look at them every time I'm shopping, but I try not to buy unless it is really special because I'm running out of places to put them. I bought one at Hobby Lobby last year that I loved for the fall season and came home and put it away. Haven't found it yet! Maybe I'll run across it by next fall! lol!

Susan said...

Oh Terryterra, you are a kicker. Love your mugs. Here's to you! Susan p.s. Thanks so much for all your sweet visits. Love them!

Carol Z said...

I have a collection, but my favorite is one I bought in Italy with bright yellow lemons in it. It always makes me smile. I have others, but this is usually the first one I reach for.