Monday, April 25, 2016

MORE TROUBLE THAN IT WAS WORTH


I decided to rearrange stuff in my cupboards this afternoon, for no good reason other than to kill time. I am bored. I admit it. In order to do this chore I needed a little help. I am short. I got out the step stool because it’s the only way I can reach the shelves. I wanted to make a dent in the clutter, since I have neglected the shelves for too long. I knew I had some packages of egg barley up there that must be 10 years old. So I wanted to throw them away. But accidents happen. When I was trying to get them down,  my hand caught on the edge of something else. The next thing I know…. my hair, stove, countertop and kitchen floor are totally covered with the contents of an open bag of coriander seeds.  It was one BIG mess. I was slipping and sliding trying to walk. The seeds were everywhere, in everything. I was spitting them out of my mouth. They are teeny tiny little things and took at least  a half hour or more to clean up. It was a painstaking task. And since we love Indian food and these seeds are an integral ingredient in most my recipes… it was a loss that hit us in the gut. They are hard to come by in our neck of the woods, so I was devastated my stash had been cut. So having less to work with, means fewer of our favorite ethnic meals here at home. That realization made me mad at myself. I wish I had just left well enough alone and found something else to occupy my time today, other than attempting to clean a cupboard. It was more trouble than it was worth. That is for sure. Have you ever had a similar mishap?


PS) Be sure to check out my new blog post on

12 comments:

betty said...

Sounds like a mess indeed! Worse thing I did a few months ago was drop a beer when taking it out of the fridge; what a mess it made to clean up all the glass; it was amazing where pieces of glass ended up at

betyt

Carol Z said...

Cleaning the cupboard is on my to-do list for tomorrow. I am desperate to take out the billion plastic storage containers and match lids to bottoms. I needed to find a large container last week and spent a half hour looking for the size I needed. The cupboard with food comes next and I will be very, very careful.

Jon said...

I'm sorry for your loss. I've never seen corriander seeds before, and admittedly wouldn't know what to do with them - - but East Indian food is very intriguing.

Your cabinet accident sounds like something that would happen to me. Everything I touch seems to turn into a complication or a disaster. I spilled a 16 pound bag of cat food once. Try cleaning THAT up.....
Last night I tripped over one of the cat's water dishes and it spilled all over the carpet.

Perhaps I should get rid of the cats??

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oh yes, I've had similar experiences and just want to kick myself. I'm sorry you had such a mess to clean up and hope you can replace those seeds. I'll check out your other blog now. Hope your Monday is a good one !

jack69 said...

OKAY, I'm sorry I smiled at the sight of you 'spitting' out part of the spill, and seeing you covered. Sorry. But I do know the thoughts of 'More trouble than it is worth and I agree.
Y'all will bounce back, I was going to suggest sex when you are bored but I won't! (smile)

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh no, what a mess! But at least you tried to clean the clutter out of your cupboards, and that says something. Oh Yes, it seems that this has happened to me also, and more than once. :) I've never had Indian food before, shame on me, right? Nel says it's delicious.

~Sheri

Mevely317 said...

Now I'm craving me some Indian food! (Never mind that I've never attempted to make it in my life ...)

Like Betty said, it's amazing how far bits of glass can fly. Once, I swear, a jar of pickles exploded.
Admittedly, yours sounds like a Dick Van Dyke comedy sketch. Sure and it wasn't a bit funny at the time, but you've such a way with words I could totally 'see' it. Better days ahead!

shortybear said...

such a mess, bless your heart

Susan said...

Oh Taryterre, that must have been awful. I know when I've dropped something like that and cleaned it up, I'd find remnants of the seeds for weeks afterward. Oh well, at least you didn't fall off the step stool. Susan P.S. Thanks so much for your visits and sweet ocmments.

Paula said...

I've been threatening to clean and rearrange my cabinets. I will one day, I just don't know what day. Lots of spices in there are very old.

Veronica Lee said...

So sorry you had such a mess to clean up. I love Indian food too and luckily for us, coriander seeds can be easily gotten over here on our side of the pond!

Hi! Stopping by from Betty's blog.
Have a nice day!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I'm glad you didn't fall off that stool! What a mess that must have been. I hate when things like that happens. I'll never forget the most heart-breaking mess I ever had. Year ago, I had just canned, first time ever, green beans. I had 14 jars to put away and took them to the laundry room and put up on shelves. Boy, was I proud of them all lined up looking good! I went back to cleaning up the kitchen when I heard a loud crash. You guessed it, the shelving didn't hold and every last jar broke. I just sat down and cried. All that work for nothing.