Monday, April 18, 2016

STRANGERS, SCARABS and KISMET


Life is funny. Things happen when you least suspect them to. Our weekend was plotted out and we were attending to business when I asked my hubby to make a side trip to a local store. As is customary, in our relationship, he sat and waited in the car while I went inside to have a look-see. I had gathered a few things in my cart and was rounding a corner when I almost had the wind knocked out of me. There was a lady coming towards me with her cart and she could barely squeeze by. They do not make the aisles BIG enough for two customers to be side by side. As she was passing I sucked in my gut. Then I happened to look down at her hand. My heart almost stopped. There on the middle finger of her right hand was a lovely vintage SCARAB ring. I LOVE Egyptology and particularly scarabs. But what caught my eye about this one.... was the fact that I had EXACTLY the same ring on my right hand and middle finger. So I reached out tugged her sleeve and said, “We are kindred spirits.” She looked surprised and said, “Why?”  I then pointed to our rings. Her heart skipped a beat too. She said, “I can’t believe it. You know how old these pieces are?” I told her, “I did.” And  added,  I had gotten mine when it was brand spanking new. She said, “Me too.”  She called for her daughter who was in another aisle and we showed her our hands. Her daughter was tickled by the mutually shared rings and said, “It is a small world, isn’t it? MATCHING SCARAB RINGS, same hand, same finger. What are the odds?”  And I added, "Not to mention being in the same store, at exactly the right time to see it." Our happy threesome then exchanged names, chatted for a little bit, and we went our separate ways. Life sometimes throws you curves. During the past year, my life has been full of them. But today life gave me something back, a winning inning. Something sweet to savor. I made a new friend. And that is priceless. 



11 comments:

Paula said...

What an interesting story and the rings are beautiful.

Jon said...

What are the chances of that ever happening?? It seems to be much more than mere coincidence. A great story!

Like you, I'm fascinated with Egyptology. I always wanted to buy an original scarab buy they're rather expensive..... I do have several rings from ancient Rome. And one from Persia.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love how you put it that you had a winning inning! How wonderful! They don't happen as often as we'd like, but they are priceless !

betty said...

Hadn't seen a ring like that, very pretty! What a great encounter to have! I do hope you guys continue on with a friendship!

betty

jack69 said...

I love coincidences, but then I don't believe in coincidences! That is neat! And what a conversation it makes.

Mevely317 said...

What an amazing happenstance ... kismet, indeed!
Like Ma said, I love your reference to having a winning inning!

shortybear said...

good post

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre, I just love your stories. I'm usually at the edge of my seat waiting to hear the end. You write so well. And I don't think it was a coincident that you ran into each other, more of a splendid sign. How funny that you wrote a post about Egyptology because I was going to do the same this week. :) We must be kindred spirits too. I've never heard of scarab rings. I'll have to read about them. And you were wearing them on the same finger, how 'bout that?

love, ~Sheri

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i love scarabs too and that is a great ring.

Veronica Lee said...

Interesting story! And what a priceless moment!

Swinging by from Betty's blog.

Have a nice day!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Such an interesting story! I've never heard of this ring, so I'll have to look it up and find out more. Hope you and your new friend get to visit each other again. Have a nice week!