Thursday, September 8, 2016

Check Please? FURGETABOUTIT



Whenever we go out to eat... my husband has the bad habit of picking up the check. That shouldn’t be an unwelcome thing. It’s generous to have someone TREAT you to a nice dinner out. BUT when the waiter or waitress puts the check on the table, my husband has a tendency to grab it, fold it up and place it in his front pocket next to his cellphone. And then... promptly forgets it is there. (unless I remind him. Which does make me a bit of a nag) What follows is very embarrassing, if he doesn’t hear me prompt him to take care of it. He simply walks out of the restaurant without paying for what we just ate. Distracted by age, perhaps his bladder or conversation with me... we walk to the car, get in and drive away. Then suddenly somewhere down the road, it DAWNS on him. OOPS. Big mistake. Oh sh!t. I forgot to pay. So he makes a frantic call to the restaurant... telling them he accidently skipped out on the bill, without making long winded explanations or BIG apologies. Sometimes they take the credit card information over the phone. MISSION accomplished. And other times we have to show back up and take care of it in person. I usually b!tch and complain... what was he thinking? He says he just forgot. It really is only an inconvenience to himself. Though, the register for the restaurant... will come up short at the end of the day, if the transaction is not accounted for. Personally,  I always leave with the check in hand so it can not be overlooked or I pay directly at the table.  But in many cases because you have to take the check to a cashier near the entrance of a place...  that means you have no choice but to gawk at the wares they are selling… and can easily become distracted with something, other than the cash in hand… for the meal. 


In the end, they always get paid, when he forgets. Obligation fulfilled. No HARM done. And we always get a good chuckle out of this turn of events. Has this ever happened to you? 



PS) Note showing up in the BLOGGER feed once again.  What's up with that????

12 comments:

betty said...

Looks almost like a Crackle Barrel restaurant your husband is walking out of. It hasn't happened to us yet, but who knows down the line.

betty

Jon said...

This has never happened to me (not yet, anyway...). I always leave with check in hand, as you do, so I won't be distracted or forget.

jack69 said...

That will never happen to me (I said as I walked out the door without paying!) BUT for a fact, SO FAR, .................SHE has reminded me!
This may help me in the future to pay more attention.
TAke care...

Mevely317 said...

So far no, but I can totally see that happening to us. At least no-one's run out to the parking lot after you! :)

It's not so polite, but it seems I'm always staaaarving. When go to breakfast I almost always finish my plate before Tom ... and have offered to go up to the register and pay while he finishes his meal in a leisurely manner.

Jean said...

It hasn't happen to me (yet) I always have to pick up and pay the bill. We don't get out as much now as we use to. When I don't want to cook I have to get take outs unless someone else goes out with me my husband want go unless we're out of town.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Good for your hubby making sure the bill was paid for anyway ! Some would have just forgotten about it altogether. Makes one wonder just how many actually do forget.

Red Rose Alley said...

I've never forgot about paying, but there was a time when I left my card at home, and had to come back to take care of it. The restaurant people are usually very nice about these things. Maybe next time you can take the check so your husband doesn't forget, since it's happened more than once. :) Funny story, Taryterre.

~Sheri

Susan said...

Dear Taryterra, thanks for sharing your post. Definitely looks like a Cracker Barrel as I'd recognize those rockers anywhere. Oh gosh, guess that would bother me, too. Better tell hubs to put the money on the table right away. ha! Don't you just love their giftshop? Hugs. Susan

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Hi Terre, I'm back from my long blog break and it's good to see my blog friends again. I've not forgotten to pay yet as my hubby is the one to always remind me. Funny how he never has enough cash at the time...lol! I love the gift shop at Cracker Barrel. I can remember the first one we ever ate in was in Tennessee years ago. I thought it was the neatest place! We have had one fairly close to us here in Missouri for several years now. Happy Fall to you!

Algodão Tão Doce said...


"A AMIZADE VERDADEIRA SORRI NA ALEGRIA,
CONSOLA NA TRISTEZA,
ALIVIA NA DOR E
SE ETERNIZA EM DEUS"(J.Calvet)
UM GRANDE ABRAÇO, MARIE.

Danielle L Zecher said...

My mom used to forget to pay when I was a kid if we ever went out without my dad. She was used to him always paying. Fortunately, we always went to the same places, and they thought it was funny.

dkzody said...

Never heard of this kind of thing unless the person is just trying to cheat the restaurant. I would be mortified.

Most restaurants here bring your bill in a portfolio and leave it on the table. You slip the cash or credit card into it and wait to get the change or the credit card slip back. Sometimes I put enough cash into the portfolio for the bill and the tip and just tell the waiter that it is fine, I won't need any change. How does your husband leave the tip if he forgets to pay the bill?