Sunday, February 26, 2017

FAT TUESDAY & KING CAKE


One of the places I’ve always wanted to visit has been New Orleans. But for one reason or another I have never been able to go. The last time I entertained the notion of a visit there, it got sideswiped by Hurricane Katrina and the trip never happened. Imagine Emeril cooking. Harry singing. The place has always held a special allure to me for so many reasons. Participating in CARNIVAL. Jazz. All that JAZZ. Voodoo magic, Musical sendoffs into the great beyond, fascinating cemeteries and as a FOODIE... delectable seafood dishes and pastries, to make your mouth water. I can only imagine eating like that every day. Such a thing it should happen to me. Here in the Midwest we’re lucky if we have CAJUN cooking once a year. Ingredients are hard to come by in these parts. So, in the past a local restaurant would break out the flashy beads, put on the zydeco music and fill up the buffet trays with crawfish, jambalaya, gumbo and delectable desserts, they had flown all the way here from Louisiana. But it got too expensive and they stopped the annual tradition. So… when Mardi Gras rolls around I’m usually a sad sack. No celebration. So imagine my surprise when I sauntered into a local bakery and saw a KING CAKE. I quickly regained my composure and claimed it as my own. Paczkis I see everywhere, but a KING CAKE never before in our neighborhood. Some WISE men (or women) made FAT TUESDAY a priority here this week. Imagine that. It’s the little things that mean a lot.



(CLICK ON PHOTO TO ENLARGE)


9 comments:

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i'm going to make the after school kids something cajun tomorrow and i'm thinking of making kings cakes this week too. i love NO and have spent lots of time there! it's a magical place!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

King Cakes are wonderful! I happened to find one year some time back and really enjoyed it. Glad you found one to enjoy! Hard to believe it's that time of year already.

Back Porch Writer said...

I have been to New Orleans once. It was a nice time.

Jon said...

New Orleans is definitely a magical world unto itself - for all the reasons you mentioned. I would love to have a king cake!

betty said...

Cool you scored a King cake. Enjoy!

Betty

jack69 said...

Nawlins, one of our favorite places in the USA. Our pick it the Beneighs and chickory coffee. Love the place!
The King Cake sounds good!

Paula said...

I must have been under a rock. I don't know what King cake is. I've been just inside of that state twice but didn't see much.

Mevely317 said...

I'd never heard of a King cake until my boss returned from New Orleans a week ago. Cute tradition!

My son and DIL enjoy taking long weekends there every now and then. I fear they'd lose me at the first sight of crawfish.

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm glad you found a bakery that serves King Cake, Taryterre. I've always wanted to go to New Orleans. The girls visited there, had the most wonderful time, and ate King Cake too! Zydeco music sounds festive. You're right, it's the little things that mean a lot.

love, ~Sheri

ps...I'm not sure if the Pink blossoms in my town are fragrant, but wouldn't that
be nice?