Wednesday, January 20, 2010

BOOKMARKS

Five to seven years ago… I bought a piece of clothing. I liked the TAG that came with it, so much… I saved it. It spelled the word SCRIPT. Giant white letters against a black background, on an inch by four inch card. It became the perfect bookmark. Until then… I had used a variety of different things to mark my places in books… greeting cards, store receipts, coupons, library card, checks, napkin, dollar bill, credit card, popsicle stick, fabric, movie ticket stubs, a flattened straw, photographs, stamps, business cards and prescriptions… to name a few. I have never owned a real bookmark. I take that back, Once… I did get a magnetic pad to go on my refrigerator, and it came with a matching striped bookmark. I didn’t use it, because I didn’t like the little satin ribbon that topped it. It was donated in a book to the library. So for now… SCRIPT still marks the spot… but it’s crinkled, old, bent and worn. Maybe it‘s time to retire it for something new… like the electronic bookmark, that comes with my Kindle. What do you use as a bookmark?

4 comments:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

I alternate between an old fashioned cardboard one and one of the thin metal page clips.

Sonya said...

I love it. I don't know anyone who has blogged about book marks. ha. They are so important. But can be something so insignificant - like an envelope, paperclip, kleenex, whatever is around- ha. I love book marks though that are bought. No one really knows that about me. But sometimes I buy them at the book store - the old fashion laminated kind with the yarn attached or nylon strings - whatever it is. A nice book mark calls me to read. lol I don't like the metal ones and people seem to always give me those metal ones or metal clips. I am scared to tell them I like the others. lol.

Nelle said...

My husband gave me a metal bookmark, a Celtic knotwork piece that always tears the pages and yet it's my favorite. I am often using scribbled notes of important information or a receipt. Often whatever gets placed in the book when I begin reading it just stays until I am done. I have so many bookmarks I was gifted but just don't use.

stucbrown2 said...

I use the front leaf of the book jacket until I am half way through - then switch over to the back leaf till the end of the book. If there is no book jacket, I just have to remember the page number.