Thursday, January 7, 2010

EVERYDAY, A SPECIAL PLACE

Everyday... between 2-6pm, I go to a local eatery and order a large raspberry tea. I always sit at a booth behind the jukebox. Once situated… I pull a pen and paper, from my purse, and write my best friend a letter, as I slowly sip my tea! She lives miles away, and a week of... good old-fashioned letters, is how we stay in touch… even in this day and age, of cell phones and e-mails. The d├ęcor inside this place is cathartic. It has a 50’s theme, with old advertisements lining the walls. But they’re modern enough, to have XM radio, blaring sounds from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s on the radio. Usually the customers have gray hair and shuffle when they walk. Lots of walkers and canes. Just my speed, with my bad knees. That’s not to say… young folks, don’t come here… because they do. I love it here. We all do. As the songs play, I reminisce about the good old days and write about my day. The words flow. It’s like opening a vein. When I’m finished with my letter… I rummage around for a stamp to put on the envelope. Mission Accomplished. Same routine, everyday. Sometimes though, I vary it, and will have a bite to eat. Lately, I’ve been getting the Twice Baked Mashed Potato, with tomatoes, fresh bacon, onions and sour cream. I could do without the onions. I keep forgetting to have them, hold them. But it’s really good, regardless. If I really want to splurge, though, I get the Buffalo Chicken sandwich for $4.59. I dip my celery sticks in the ranch dressing, to ease the heat of the chicken. Nothing is too overpriced here. And everything is made to order… It’s worth the wait, believe me. Yummy food. But, the truth is… I really come here for the raspberry tea, and the chance to escape for an hour or two, while I write. It's my special place. I’m a regular… and will be for a long, long time.

2 comments:

LYN said...

sounds like fun...

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Thanks for stopping by my place :o)