Friday, April 23, 2010

GOING BANANAS

I love fresh fruit. I call it Nature’s Candy. So I indulge myself whenever I can. With spring here and summer rapidly approaching, more kinds of fruit become readily available at the local grocery store. Strawberries, honeydew, cantaloupe, blackberries, mangoes, pears, watermelon, raspberries, pineapple, blueberries, clementines, apples, plums, peaches and grapes are all delectable. But because of certain medications my hubby and I take, grapefruit is off limits. We love grapefruit juice, but have had to learn to adapt to life without it. Did you notice what else is missing from the list? Bananas. I have a self imposed ban on them here at my house. Why, you might ask? What could possibly be wrong with bananas. They’re a great source of potassium. And taste delicious when smashed with peanut butter and smeared on bread. The trouble is one of my cats LOVES bananas more than I do. Bananas are just NOT cat friendly, so it isn’t safe for her to eat them. She’ll attack the bunch, wherever I put it, and start chewing on the peels, breaking through to the pulp. There is no place I can hide the fruit. She can sniff it out, from a mile away. I tried putting them in the cupboard and she found a way to open the door, to get to them. Even though they don’t belong in the refrigerator, I once hid them there. She stood by the door meowing because she knew they were in there. It drives me bonkers. So, I just don’t buy bananas anymore, to avoid the problem. I miss them, though. It’s tough for me to give up something I like so much. What I won’t do, for the love of a BANANA CRAZY cat.

2 comments:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

That is pretty weird. Sounds like our cat and plastic.

Nelle said...

How odd. Our Vet has a poster up saying how dangerous certain foods are for pets. My sister-in-law used to feed her dog grapes and that was one thing they warned about.