Friday, April 16, 2010

TIME STOOD STILL

On a whim… I typed the name of a long lost friend into a search engine, last week. We lost touch when we both moved from a quaint suburban town in Pennsylvania. It has been twenty-three years since I last saw her and her family And suddenly there, at the click of a mouse… was her current address, phone number and family photos. My heart skipped a beat. Previous searches had left me empty-handed, with no information. But this time around, I had found her. I was gobsmacked. She had moved again. Scanning the photos on FLICKER, I rejoiced at seeing familiar faces, even though they had aged. There she was… with her husband, sons, daughter and grandchildren. They all stared back at me from the computer screen. Time stood still. Memories flooded forward. I met her when I was a newbie to the neighborhood. She knocked on my front door and literally said, “Avon calling.” We became steadfast friends, from that first encounter. Her younger boys took piano lessons with my daughters. And... her oldest girl, babysat for mine. We were bowling buddies, lunch and dinner companions too. It was a sad day, when the moving van, packed us up, to go. My family headed to Ohio, and hers, to somewhere in Kentucky. I lost her new address… so I sent letters to the old address, hoping they would be forwarded, but I never heard back. Now all these years later… there she was via the internet. I was so happy to see her smiling face again. The question is… do I call or write to reestablish contact. I’m a little scared to pick up the phone. A voice from the past could be accidently rejected. So… I decided to sit down and write her a nice long letter. I’ll tell her everything that’s happened to me, in the past decade or two and hopefully she’ll reciprocate. I’m not sure how I’ll be received after all this time. But I have to make an effort to try and rekindle the friendship. Meanwhile… I’m loving my computer and all this newfangled technology.

4 comments:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Keeping fingers crossed that your letter is well received and reciprocated.

Jan said...

I am sure she will be just as delighted as you are ,yes please do let us know how you get on ...love Jan xx

Monica said...

There is a friend from high school that I've tried searching for repeatedly and so far no luck. =( However, my half sister in Mexico found me and made contact. I was delighted to hear from her and am hoping to meet her in the near future. (It's a long story) I hope she responds and the two of you get to catch up with each other.

Nelle said...

Several friends have found me on FB...most wonderful of all was when I heard from the daughters of a friend who passed away twenty years ago. They remembered me and wanted to reconnect, the older girl looks exactly like her Mom.