Saturday, December 11, 2010

ONCE UPON A TIME

Once upon a time, because of a job, we lived in two places. And when we did… we took down the outdoor mailbox, at our primary residence and replaced it with a post office box, downtown. We did this because we were constantly having fights with the mail carriers about holding our mail when we were out of town, at our other residence. Changing the address to a PO Box fixed the problem. But it created new ones. For example, once or twice a week, we have to go downtown to pick up our mail. With this chore comes a lot of headaches. The biggest one is finding a parking space, somewhere near the Post Office. I have BAD knees and can’t walk that far. So I have to drive around the block more than a few times to locate a place. Minutes click past. Eventually my persistence pays off and I usually nab one close by, but sometimes I don‘t. Then it becomes quite a trek. Next problem… climbing a gazillion steps. I have to use the hand railing to balance myself as I climb. Hard to do if you’re carrying packages to be mailed…especially since the railing is coming out of the cement and is unstable. No other way up because the handicap ramp is being revamped and is closed. Finally I’m inside, but I don’t get far. There is always a line out to the door. No matter what time of day, they only have one or two service windows open. After a while, my knees feel like they’re going to buckle from the pressure of standing there so long. I tell myself to hang on. But it hurts. Meanwhile, people often cut in line, in front of me, courtesy of friends and family, already there. Not fair, but it happens. When I finally get my turn, I make the most of it. I ask them to check my PO BOX for notices of packages or anything else too big to fit inside it. Then, I’m ultimately loaded down with stacks of junk mail, catalogs, magazines and occasionally boxes, as I leave. Navigating my way back down those outside steps, holding all that, hardly being able to see in front of me, proves almost hazardous. How I keep my footing, I don’t know. By the time I get back to my car, I’m ready to collapse. What should have been a ten minute jaunt to the post office, turns into forty minutes. Each time I go, the wait is a crapshoot. And with holiday time here, it has just gotten worse. How I long, to walk to the edge of my driveway, to get my mail. Now that we live in only ONE place, we‘ve considered going back to curbside mail. But if history tells us anything, it’s this… the local carrier would botch things up, so we’d have a bigger mess to deal with, than we do now. Better to leave things alone. So I'm done kvetching.

1 comment:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

I would certainly go back to curbside, even with problems, it beats the lines and chance for a fall.