Thursday, December 30, 2010

HAPPY NEW YEAR

When I lost 150 lbs, eight years ago, everyone marveled at my fortitude. They assumed I went on a diet after the first of the year and stuck with it. The truth is, I didn’t. Temptation would have sabotaged my efforts. Instead, without telling anyone, I began walking, four to six miles a day. The weight just melted off and I suddenly had a new lease on life. For about four years, it stayed that way. I felt like a completely new person… the old me, discarded, once and for all. Unfortunately, little did I know, that all that walking had a cumulative effect on my body. It helped to mess up, my already, arthritic knees. And the end result was devastating. Seemingly overnight... the walking, I loved to do, became impossible to do. I was in unbearable pain. I had lost my favorite pastime, in addition, to my new self. The weight came back on. And the damage to my psyche was immeasurable. It’s taken me years, to finally accept my limitations. So I’m telling you, when the clock strikes midnight on New Year’s Eve, try not to be too unrealistic about the goals you set for yourself in the coming year. Just remember you could have the rug pulled right out from underneath you, too. Researchers have differing opinions on whether you should keep New Year’s Resolutions to yourself or share them with everybody you know. In my case, talking about my goals, ahead of time, makes me less likely, to follow through on them. Just too many prying eyes, watching and waiting. It’s too easy to slip up, and disappoint someone else, in addition, to yourself. And that adds unnecessary pressure. Therefore, I’ve found, I make much better progress, on my resolutions, if I keep them, my little secret, until after the fact. Then, when I have something to really brag about, I can share, and bask in the glory of my accomplishment. So, on this New Year’s Eve, remember… “An optimist stays up until midnight to see the new year in. A pessimist stays up, to make sure the old year leaves.” What are you?

2 comments:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Make your resolution to be to have a great year, and then live it :o)

LYN said...

★˛˚˛*˛°★Happy 2011!!!★* 。*★* ˛.*.★*.˛* .˛。*.★.*˛.¨*.★
˛°_██_*.。*./ ♥ \ .˛* .˛。.★ 。**˛Happy New Years! From our
˛. (´• ̮•)*.。*/♫.♫\*˛.* ˛_Π_____.♥!!!♥♥home to yours ! ♥♥♥♥
.°( . • . ) ˛°./• '♫ ' •\.˛*./______/~\*. ˛*.。˛*★* ˛.*.★*.˛* .*˛
*(...'•...'.. ) *˛╬╬╬╬╬˛°.|田田 |門|╬╬╬╬╬*˚ .˛ ...★..*.*★*.★