Thursday, January 20, 2011

ENJOYING THE SOLITUDE

It was late afternoon and I had a hankering to get out of the house and have a change of scenery. Snow was predicted for the next day and I wanted to ward off cabin fever. I decided to go to one of my favorite locally owned restaurants, read my Kindle and hang out for a while. When I arrived, there was nobody in the joint. I had the whole place to myself. Gave me a big thrill. I found a little table that was out of the way, nestled in the back, next to an antique ice chest and old Barq’s soda sign. I plopped myself down and ordered a raspberry tea. The jukebox was playing hits from the 50’s, 60’s and 70’s to soothe the soul, and I got into the groove, humming along. As I sipped my tea and read my book, Salting Roses by Lorelle Marinello… I enjoyed the solitude. But it wasn’t long lived. Before long... more and more customers began to trickle in. And would you believe, they all gravitated to me. A huge empty room and they chose to sit in close proximity to yours truly. First one person, then two, four, half a dozen or more, until that entire side of the room was completely full. I watched in amazement as this unfolded. I was fascinated. People all flocked together, like a bunch of birds. What an interesting phenomenon. I got a refill on my raspberry tea and continued about my business, now ignoring the crowd. Eventually it thinned out... leaving me all by my lonesome again... just the way I liked it. I guess I'm just a different kind of bird.

4 comments:

madcobug said...

Sounds like a nice trip for solitude at last.
Helen

Sonya said...

Sounds fun to me. lol. Great entry! I love it. Could totally see myself doing that!

LYN said...

sounds like heaven except for the birds..:-)

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

For all our faults, the strange human bird still seeks to flock together.