Thursday, January 6, 2011

SMART PHONE, SMART CHOICE

With all this talk about Smart Phones in the news, my husband and I felt out of the loop. We were living in the Dark Ages. We hadn’t upgraded our cell phones or service for seven or eight years. Lagging behind, we were still carrying old flip phones with limited calling, texting and photography capabilities. Verizon owed us a free one, so we'd get two for the price of one, if we got a new contract. And we figured the extra cost per month, for having new SMART phones, after that... would be a drop in the bucket. So, following tons of research, heated debate and with some serious trepidation, we finally decided to bite the bullet and join the ranks of modern day society. Twenty-First Century, here we come. Out with the OLD and in with the NEW. Our choice was the DROID 2 GLOBAL. For a couple of armchair travelers this choice might seem a bit drastic, especially given where we were coming from. But the truth is, we wanted a real bang for our buck. And believe me, we got it with the DROID GLOBAL. Our world changed in a heartbeat. This mobile device literally does everything. I’m not kidding, being a telephone is the least of it. We now have a computer, camera, e-reader, video camera, TV, GPS right at our fingertips. It also works as a Wi-Fi hotspot. Has easy access to hundreds of APPS. It synchronizes with my Kindle so I can read my latest book without interruption, wherever I am. And the novelty of being able to check the weather, emails, search Google, follow the stock market, or place orders on eBay, Fidelity, and Amazon, will never wear off. Not to mention the fact, I can read, write, and edit my blog from it, too. There is no end to the things we can do with this little contraption. I can’t imagine my life without it. I don’t know why I initially put off my husband’s attempts to upgrade. I guess I thought the DROID GLOBAL would be too SMART for little old me to handle. But contrary to what I thought, it’s really the most user friendly piece of technology, I’ve ever been exposed to. We LOVE it. Greatest gift we ever gave ourselves. Brilliant idea. Did I mention it has a 3.7 inch touchscreen, slide out Qwerty keyboard, it includes Swype which permits continuous finger motion across a virtual keyboard, too. It also features a 1.2 GHz processor, 512 MB RAM, 5 megapixel camera with auto focus, dual LED flash, panoramic modesquality DVD video capture in slow or fast motion, it has a battery life of up to 500 minutes usage time, 8 GB of internal memory, expandable to 32 GB with a preinstalled microSD card, the ability to support voice or data in 200 countries, etc., etc., etc. Not bad equipment for a couple of old timers. Now… if we could just stop PLAYING with it, maybe we could divert our attention to something else?!?

2 comments:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

I became a convert with my 3G convert with my work Blackberry. Looking forward to upgrading some day to a 4G or iPad.

Nelle said...

WE upgraded to the Blackberry Torches and we love them. It took me awhile to get the hang of it but I so love that you can use BlackBerryMessenger and it doesn't count as regular texts. ONLY those on your approved list can send. See, you can teach an old dog or two a new trick! :) Enjoy!