Thursday, January 27, 2011

GALLBLADDERS & AN ACTRESS

My oldest daughter recently had laparoscopic surgery to remove her gallbladder. Everything went exceedingly well. She went in the hospital early in the morning, and was home by late afternoon. UNBELIEVABLE. By contrast, twenty eight years ago, when I had my gallbladder taken out, I was in the hospital for TEN days. One of my ribs was cracked during the surgery... and both my arms and rear end, were completely black and blue, from being a pin-cushion for the nurses. Back then... removing gallbladders was a complicated procedure. I have a nine inch vertical scar on my abdomen to prove it. And, a container of disintegrating gallstones. I told my surgeon, Dr. B. that I wanted to keep them as a souvenir of the ordeal. He was tickled pink by the notion, and presented me with them, after I was wheeled out of recovery. Now, after all these years, those gallstones are almost reduced to dust. I probably should just throw them away. But I can’t. Gross, huh? Sorry. Been collecting things since I was a small child. I daresay, my daughter did not ask to keep hers. I guess I just have a natural curiosity about such things. Lucky for her, though, she has a measly four dots on her tummy to mark the occasion of her surgery. No big ugly scars, like mine. But... I can boast that... that scar was put on my stomach, by the father of a famous Hollywood actress, when he removed my gallbladder. Imagine that?

2 comments:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Our medical practices have certainly progressed over the past decade or two.

Lori said...

I'm glad your daughter's surgery went well. I think my sister saved her gall stones from her surgery at least 30 years ago. I wonder if she still has them. lol