Thursday, January 13, 2011

TERMINATED

I am in shock. I have been deemed irrelevant. After thirty years of loyalty, in one fell swoop, our insurance company did the unthinkable. Without so much as a letter, or phone call, they terminated our service. Wiped us right out of the computer data base as if we didn’t exist. “Sorry we are no longer paying for your prescriptions. You have to cough up the money, yourself.” I was never so humiliated when my pharmacist told me we no longer had coverage. I insisted we did, shoving the new insurance card I carried, right at her. She took it and vowed to check again. Came back with the same news. “Your coverage has been terminated.” What a way to start the new year. I wondered if I accidentally threw out my new insurance card and had kept the old one. Did I forget to pay the bill? I couldn’t imagine why our coverage would be terminated? I called my husband, to ask if he knew? He didn’t. But he was just as mad as I was. How dare they. It was after 5pm. Too late to call the insurance company to get answers. I needed my prescription, so I had to get it, regardless. The pharmacist told me the medicine would cost $200. My knees almost buckled out from underneath me. With insurance, I usually only pay $25 for the pills. This was highway robbery. Surely they couldn’t be that expensive? But suffice to say, they were. I had no choice, as I took my credit card out to cover the cost. According to the pharmacist, if we get the insurance debacle straightened out in the next couple weeks, and find out we are covered, after all... the pharmacy will reimburse me, if I save the receipt. Needless to say, I’m holding on to it for dear life. Meanwhile, the insurance company has some explaining to do.

3 comments:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Hope it was just a computer glitch and that you are still covered.

Nelle said...

You have to update us on this! About three years ago when I was diagnosed with diabetes the pharmacy told me that my plan would not cover those meds. I told her that I was aware of a NJ law stating they HAD to cover it if my insurance was through an employer. She refused and I called the company myself. Long story short, the pharmacist was wrong and it was covered. Companies makes mistakes.

Lori said...

I hope it was just a mistake and all will be well. Don't lose that receipt!