Friday, June 3, 2011

A DINNER VICTORY

Now that the sun is shining well into the night sky, my hubby and I got a little cabin fever. We had been eating at home everyday for weeks. We decided to splurge a little and go out to Ruby Tuesday’s for dinner out. As online members of their website, they sent us a special coupon for 25% off whatever we ordered. It expired at the end of the month. Perfect timing. May 31st was upon us. So we got in the van and headed up to the restaurant to use it. The place was bustling with people. They seated us at a table near a window with a view of the parking lot. We hunkered down and began scanning the menu. Lots of yummy things to choose from. I usually get the Asian Grilled Salmon. But since we had lobster at home, for my birthday... we decided to just do burgers. My hubby ordered the Triple Prime Burger with cheddar cheese and I got the Boston Blue, medium rare. We opted out of the salad bar and ordered sides of mashed potatoes and grilled zucchini. They served biscuits while we were waiting for the meal . We devoured them. We had not eaten all day. When dinner finally arrived, we cleaned our plates. Everything was delicious. The waitress asked if we wanted dessert and we told her NO, we had leftover birthday cake at home. So she left the bill. My hubby put the coupon with his credit card in the folder and handed it to her. After a while, she returned with the paperwork to sign. She then told us she FORGOT to deduct the coupon. She said she rang the transaction up before she saw it, so we would have to use the coupon at a later date. We told her we couldn’t do that because it expired that night. She said there was nothing she could do. My husband suggested we talk to the manager. That got her rear in gear. But she was really aggravated with us. Why couldn’t we just pay for it, as is, without the discount. She felt slighted. This was really inconveniencing her. My husband and I looked at each other. She’s the one who messed up to begin with, by running the credit card without including the discount. I daresay Ruby Tuesday’s intended for us to use the coupon when they sent it to us. And that’s all we were trying to do. Eventually, the waitress returned... still in a bit of a huff. But... she brought us the corrected bill, minus the 25% off. My husband signed it... and off we headed for home, smiling at the small victory... and, an interesting evening out.

5 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm glad you persevered and got the coupon discount. It seems that waitress forgot that the customer is always right. They are there to serve you and make you want to come back again. I see this too often anymore. When you have a good meal and no hassle it sure make me SMILE. Hope you have a great Saturday!

Nelle said...

I hate when a waitress or waiter makes a mistake and then acts like it's your fault. She should have apologized, corrected it, end of story. ALthough I am usually a good tipper, I have started deducting when they do things like this and there was one time the service was so horrible and the waiter's attitude so obnoxious that I left nothing! I don't think the store manager OR Ruby Tuesday's would have approved of this.

Angela said...

We have two experiences at two different restaurants where the waitress ran our debit card TWICE by mistake. Neither time were we told about this and both times we got hit with a double whammy deduction. Their defense (and both times we had to call back the next day to find out what happened) was that they credited the first one back... if this makes any sense... but it was the bank's fault for the 24-hour delay (or whatever it was).

MY point is that we just wished we had been told about the mistake to begin with so we could watch our account. When there's not much in the bank to begin with, that can really mess with the finances (and the husband). Ha!

And that's my restaurant story. =)

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Glad you stuck to your guns.

LYN said...

She was wrong you were right...end of story...and I think you should let the manager know too..