Friday, June 17, 2011

RESTAURANT BECAME A PARKING LOT

If you asked what my favorite soup is, I would have to say LEMON CHICKEN. But if you're hungry for it...the nearest place to get it, without donning a chef's hat or opening a can, is now approximately an hour away from my house. FURGETABOUT IT! Once you’ve had the best it can’t be duplicated. The only place that served the best here in town had a fire. Ain't nothing being fixed in that kitchen from this day forward. And that's a crying shame. Years ago, when we moved here... the building that housed that restaurant, used to be an ice cream parlor. My favorite ice cream is BLACK RASPBERRY and they were the only place in town that carried it. Needless to say, I had a particular fondness for this location. So when the ice cream parlor closed down, unable to stay afloat... I diverted my loyalty to the new Greek restaurant, that took it's place and their Lemon Chicken Soup. But thoughts of summer nights... and eating ice cream treats in waffle cones, with our little girls, remained each time we went inside. Time marched on and everything changed. DREAMS DASHED. LIVELIHOODS LOST. As the bulldozers descended outside the remnants of our favorite old eaterymy spouse and I sat in a parked car, watching the demolition of the burnt out structure, eating a couple of soft serve vanilla cones from McDonalds. We pretended the past, hadn't caught up to the present… as this place we loved, and all the memories we shared there... became nothing more than a GIANT parking lot.

2 comments:

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

As we get older, more and more of what we cherish disappears.

That corgi :) said...

I never had lemon chicken soup but I am sure it was very tasty! It is sad when things we enjoyed get torn down or close. We do have our memories though to remember the good times and tastes though!

betty