Friday, June 24, 2011

THE XOOM, I'M IN LOVE

Technology has gobsmacked me, once again. Portable and lightweight... I now own a device that does the most complicated things at the mere touch of a finger. But what absolutely delights me is one of it’s basic capabilities. It’s backlit. Which means... at night with the lights out… totally in the dark, in the palm of my hands… wherever I choose, I can now get online... or simply read whatever book I pick... from my extensive Kindle library. Only I’m not using a computer or a Kindle. I’m using a tablet called the XOOM. This 3G/WiFi Motorola device features the Droid operating system, like my smart-phone, only it‘s bigger. Bigger is better people. Especially at my age. Makes reading much easier. It’s about the size of a hardback book or a netbook computer.  With this tablet I can get online anywhere. However, the surface is very reflective... almost too much to use it outdoors. But who cares. Unlike most people... it’s the reading part, at night or in low light, that has me enamored. The XOOM comes loaded with Google Books. But I downloaded the Kindle App because I have an account with Amazon. It shows the book jackets in color, so I can discern one from another, easily. That’s something Kindle doesn’t do. In a very short time... this device has changed my life. I like reading in bed. Since I was a small child, I’ve read in the dark using a flashlight. Back when I was a kid... I did it so I wouldn't disturb my grandma. We shared a room. These days I do it, so I don’t wake my husband. Now I can read my books... or surf the net, to my hearts content... and not bother anybody with a bright light. I LOVE this XOOM. It’s mesmerizing. We were looking to update and replace our laptop computer... and got this tablet instead. I'm so glad. The laptop is passe. Tablets are the future. iPad look out, there’s competition on your heels. On the other hand... this could just be the latest fad. I guess time will tell.

6 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

New toys are fun. I'd not heard of your XOOM before. Ipads may come down a bit on their pricing if they now have competition. Enjoy!

Nelle said...

This sounds great but can it use Wifi or do you need separate internet for it? I love my laptop, partly because of the size of the screen. My biggest problem with it is when I want to print. We need a new setup so we can print without being connected to a printer.

madcobug said...

Sounds good to me! Helen

That corgi :) said...

never heard of this, but it sounds like you are enjoying it so very much so keep on enjoying it!!

betty

FrankandMary said...

I love reading a book, smelling the page, feeling the texture..but I understand your points. ~Mary

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Cool, glad you found an app for that.