Thursday, July 21, 2011

CARTOON & TOMATO SOUP HEADBOARDS

I am a terrible traveler. All the packing and lugging of suitcases is just too much trouble. I hate it. When my husband worked for a large corporation, years ago… I would accompany him on most all of his business trips. Back then, we lived out of suitcases. I was in my twenties. It was great fun. I found joy in each stop made. I embraced the fancy décor of the room or suite I was in, and made myself right at home. But with no access to a car, after he left for his meetings… I would have to make casual conversation when the maid showed up. Talk about awkward. Then I would spend the rest of my days lounging around the pool, ordering room service and watching cable TV. (this was before we had it at home) I know. It was a tough job, but someone had to do it. Later, in the evenings… my hubby and I would explore, the sights and sounds, of whatever town we happened to be in. It was a good life. But traveling isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. It gets boring after a while. And I get bored easily…. not to mention the fact, I hate being cooped up. So I stopped going with him. I said it was to tend to the children and their needs. The truth was, I had had enough of motels. Once the kids grew up and left the house… guess what? I found myself back on the road with my husband. Older this time around, I found the pleasure in each opportunity. Living in motels became a way of life. But when that big corporate job ended… due to age discrimination… my husband scrambled to find a new one. It took a while, but he eventually found a position with a small startup company. They didn’t have the money to be gallivanting all over the country… so business trips, like the ones he was accustomed to, faded from memory. That is until recently. With a product now ready for market… my husband has begun to travel for his job, once again. A few weeks ago he had to go to Wisconsin for business. He asked me to tag along. I graciously declined. It’s a good thing. It was near impossible for him to find a room. Everywhere he looked was booked solid. He ended up staying in Menomonee Falls. It’s within driving distance to Milwaukee. The Radisson Hotel there was new. They had a room available and they were running a special deal if you booked it online. AMAZINGLY… their rates were cheaper than most of the other places, he had looked at. Because rooms were scarce elsewhere… he jumped at this one before someone else gobbled it up. Beggars can’t be choosers. Poor baby. No roughing it, like we do at home. I was jealous. The Radisson. Should have gone with him. On the other hand… he was surprised at what he found in the room. The décor was unlike anything he had ever seen in all his years of traveling. Think Andy Warhol. Pictures of Tomato Soup Cans, Movie Posters and Cartoons decorated the headboards. Modern lamps, unusual faucets and contemporary carpet completed the look. According to the hotel, the decor had an URBAN theme. I’m glad I didn’t go. I would have felt like a fish out of water in that atmosphere. I want to feel like I’m in a home away from home when I travel. I need the setting to be comfy, cozy. This URBAN stuff would have made me feel a tad bit uncomfortable. The hubby on the other hand… hunkered down for his stay on the company dime and got to like it. What do you think?

5 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I guess I would have gone along rather than stay at home but since I've been on my own now for about 20 years, I have learned to appreciate the time we have with those we love. I may not have felt the same years ago when having my hubby around was an every day occurrence. Decor in rooms varies from hotel to hotel but I've never seen anything like that for sure. What matters to me is it's clean and comfortable. It's good that the company your hubby works for is doing so well now.

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

The last picture clinched it for me, love it.

Ninny said...

Times they are a changin'. It's all about "urban" now. (Back in the 50's we called it "modern", then in the eighties it was "contemporary.") When we approached our realtor about selling the old homeplace (not a farm, just our house), she advised updating to...yep, urban. To appeal to a younger crowd, the new homeowners. Gotta say, it does beat all that shiny brass everywhere. I kinda like it!

Nelle said...

Different. I like it to stay in a few days but wouldn't be comfortable living there full time....although I love something that looks so clean.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i spent years and years traveling all over the world and now i hardly leave my house! i hate traveling now! cool room though!