Friday, July 29, 2011

BEWARE OF STRANGERS AT DOOR


Recently there was an incident, locally, that gave me cause to pause. An elderly woman, not much older than my husband, answered her front door. The young man that stood before her wanted to use her telephone. She politely told him he couldn’t and proceeded to shut the door. He barged in, beating her to a pulp and began ransacking her house, stealing what he could carry. Luckily the poor lady escaped with her life, bloody and bruised. The moral to this story is not to answer the door to strangers. I’m in tune with this philosophy. The other day, around 2:30 in the afternoon, my doorbell rang. I peaked through the blinds, outside. It was a couple of young guys in an old dilapidated red truck, whose attire had seen better days. One of them was leaning on my doorbell for sport. My 35 year old daughter wanted to answer it. I insisted she didn’t. After about 10 minutes there was silence. So I assumed he left with his buddy. I slowly opened my door to check, just in time to see the pair of them... speed away, laughing. I wondered what was so funny?  Good Riddance. No doubt they were looking for work. Since I only hire help, I know something about, they were out of luck. I thought this was the end of the story. I was wrong. It was garbage day at my house and the can was still out at the curb.  I had heard the trash collector’s truck come by earlier that morning, so I knew it was empty. Usually I let my husband get it, but I thought I’d be nice and do it for him. Meanwhile, my daughter was leaving for the store. She anxiously called me from her cellphone on her way to her car. She gave me a heads up about what I’d find at the end of my driveway. I went out to see for myself. Sitting there on the curb, next to the trashcan was a large empty box of Contractor Crack Sealant and a half full bucket of gravel. Inside the can were a couple of big bags, stuffed with what I assumed were empty containers from McDonalds. Also on the side of the road was a pile of dead tree branches.  I live in a nice residential neighborhood. The township would pick up the branches, but what about the garbage? I couldn’t believe it.The guys in the red truck had indeed left their calling card. No wonder they were laughing. Their trash was in my front yard and in my garbage can. The NERVE of some people. I wanted to call the police... my husband said not to. He told me... I would be overreacting. I want to know... how are you supposed to react... to such a thing? Seriously. Tell me.

5 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

That is all very scary. I'm not so sure what I'd do in a case like that. But I'd probably not do anything either. I never do open my door unless I know who is there. One time one of my sons decided to visit and I didn't answer the door as I wasn't expecting anyone. He called me on his cell phone to let me know it was him at the door. It's such a crazy world that I'm never sure who to trust and who not too. Take care and be safe!

madcobug said...

A pair up to no good for sure. There have been some breaking into houses right close to us in broad daylight. Things will only get worse because people are getting desperate because of the economy. Helen

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Just be thankful that they left. A little garbage being left is not a crime, so not much use in calling the police.

Funny in My Mind said...

My 4 dogs barking like idiots is a good deterrant when people knock.
If I do open the door, it is with Finn my German and he loves to lunge at people.
I usually look and if I don't know who it is, I ignore the bell.

Donna said...

Wow, they have their nerve!