Friday, July 8, 2011

TIRED OF MEN'S WORK

When I went out to eat at Panera Bread last week... I noticed a roofing nail embedded in my back left tire. It wasn’t flat but it concerned me. I wondered where I had picked it up. Twice this year we had to have AAA come out to the house to fix flats in my husband’s van. Fortunately no emergencies were involved. In both cases they were able to put a plug in the tire to fix it. They can only do that if the foreign object is on the face of the tire where it hits the road. If the problem is in the sidewall of the tire, they can’t repair it. This back left tire could probably be plugged, but the tires have some serious miles on them. So rather than wait for a slow leak to develop from the puncture, we opted to just replace the tire. The local tire store didn’t have our kind in stock. According the manager of the place, the new tires would have to be special ordered. He couldn’t predict when they’d come in. But he’d give us a call. My husband couldn’t take off work, so the deal was, I’d have to handle it. My husband usually takes care of all car business. Inevitably when I handle such things... something always goes wrong... and my husband ends up getting a frantic call... usually at the most inopportune time... with me screaming, "HELP". But we were cautiously optimistic, this time, things would be pretty straightforward. So... when the tires finally came in... I took my van in at the designated time. They told me it would take approximately 45 minutes to do the job. First, they had to pull the old tires off the rear and toss them. Then, as per my husbands request… they would put the front tires on the back of the van, and the new tires on the front. This confused me, but made sense to all of them. Go figure. They told me to have a seat in the waiting room. It consisted of rows of uncomfortable folding chairs and tables scattered throughout their showroom. I was one of two women in the place. The rest were men. I felt like a fish in a fishbowl. On each table was an assortment of testosterone related reading material and nothing else. IMAGINE that? It made me a tad bit uncomfortable. Thank goodness for my Droid smartphone. I was easily able to access my Kindle and read something a bit more to my liking. Plus... it kept me occupied. I was surprised when the shop guy called my name and said they were finished. Thank goodness the time passed quickly. With the new tires... now on the van, I was able to go on my way, and leave this stifling environment behind. I'm TIRED of men's work.

5 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Just before I had my accident I had to replace one of my tires because there was a nail where it shouldn't be and it couldn't be fixed. So sad that new tire didn't get much use. Well we never know. I did find out that the new tires have to be on the front when you have front wheel drive. It makes for smoother driving. Glad you had no problems and got it fixed before it went flat. Hope your Saturday is a super one!

Funny in My Mind said...

Yes, usually the reading material consists of Field and Stream.
I hate doing car stuff, men's work.

Nelle said...

My former spouse knew nothing about cars and since many years he worked and I didn't he insisted I take care of this stuff. I hated it but when I was on my own I was so glad that I could and he had to ask my son to do those things for him. Most vehicles have front wheel drive which puts a lot of wear on those tires. They are the most important so usually people replace the front and put the old on the rear unless they opt for four new tires as we did Sunday. We joined Costco and they offered $100 off four Bridgestones. Glad it was taken care of and like you, when stuck anywhere I am so grateful for a smartphone!

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Glad it went smoothly. We all have chores we do that cross the gender line :o)

Lori said...

Take my car in for any kind of service isn't my favorite thing either. Glad you're all set with new tires now. My husband HATES roofing nails. If we're near any construction site that could possibly be using them we try to stay as far on the perimeter as possible, including going by neighbor's houses if they're having roofing done.