Friday, August 12, 2011

HAVE YOU EVER TRIED THESE?












MUSSELS

INGREDIENTS

3- 4 LBS live mussels

2 cups white wine (sweet or dry, your preference)

2 or 3 bunches scallions (rough chop green & white parts)

3 or 4 cloves garlic (finely chopped)

half a bunch of curly parsley (rough chop)

1  and 1 half sticks of butter

salt to taste (I don’t use any)

Italian Bread to sop up broth on plate, once served

*For a TWIST you can add stewed tomatoes, if you like

DIRECTIONS

Rinse and scrub mussels.

*They must be closed. Throw away any wide open ones.

Remove beards with scissors or knife and discard

(when you see one you’ll know WHAT it is)

In a large stockpot melt butter

Add wine, scallions, parsley, garlic, salt

Simmer for 5 or 6 minutes

Add mussels. Cover and increase heat to high

Cook 5 minutes or until mussels open up

Imeadiately remove from heat

With a ladle or large spoon remove mussels from pot and put into a BIG bowl












Pour juice, at bottom of pot, over top of mussels

Place on plates

EAT and ENJOY




8 comments:

Donna said...

Where do you buy mussels?

Buttercup said...

I've never made them at home, but I love mussels and order them out often. Have a great weekend!

jack69 said...

I have never tried them, but have eaten most everything that comes out of the water. haha.

Must give them a try next time I am near some fresh seafood.

TARYTERRE said...

You can buy fresh mussels from a fishmonger if you know of one or the seafood counter at your local grocery store. Some places carry them, others don't. At my grocery store they come pre-packaged in a netted bag. 2 LBS for about $2.99. That will vary depending on where you live. Another alternative is to buy a box of them frozen. Though more expensive, you might have better luck finding them in the freezer section of your store, than the fresh ones.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I do like mussels but have never seen them in the shell or had them that way either. I get seafood when I go out to eat usually as I love it.

Pat MacKenzie said...

Hi. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving comments.

When we lived in Nova Scotia we used to have mussels quite often but I've never cooked them myself. Your recipe looks tasty and easy to do. I must try it.

Raindrops and Daisies said...

I love mussels but have never tried them at home, they are really expensive to buy here in Ireland. :(

Your recipe sounds great though,
making my mouth water!!!



Fiona

TARYTERRE said...

I'm so excited you stopped by for a visit. What part of Ireland? My great grandmother was from County Cork.