Friday, August 5, 2011

THE SCOOP

Nothing in my house is straightforward. We make a BIG deal out of everything. I am married to an engineer. Everything, seriously… every little thing has to be analyzed and investigated. For instance… I wanted an ice cream cone the other day. I hadn’t had one, at home, in years. I had some Haagen Daz Mango Sorbet in the freezer. I usually eat it in a little serving dish or directly from the carton, because nobody likes it, but me. But a sugar cone… full of heavenly delight… begged for me, at that exact moment. The trouble was… I didn’t have an ice cream scoop. So I jumped in the car and went to our Meijers Superstore. I was surprised. They only had a small selection to choose from. I narrowed it down to two. But they were very different. One was totally plastic and the other used the entire handle as a lever. I took a picture of both on my cellphone and texted it to my husband. I asked the question, "Which has the better mechanism and will last the longest?"

He thought the one using the handle as the lever would be difficult to scoop with. And, he also complained... the one that was all plastic, was just cheap construction. Truth be told… he didn’t like either of them. But he said he’d get back to me. So I waited. What I didn’t know was that he had headed to Walmart. About ten minutes later I began receiving text messages. They included photos of the ice cream scoops he had found there. Like me… he had narrowed it down to two.



First a  Paula Deen scoop. Paula’s looked pleasing. I could imagine myself scooping out a dip or two of ice cream with it, like she does on TV. I was happy to see the lever itself was metal. However the rotating part of the mechanism was plastic, as was the handle. So I put my feelings about it on hold. 

Then I saw the second scoop, he picked, by Oneida. It looked solid. It looked professional. It was all-metal except for the rotating part. However, my husband felt the scoop as a whole had been engineered better than the others. And he felt it would last, unlike the ones I had shown him. So the scoops I had been looking at were now ruled out. We had been furiously texting back and forth about all of this. So I stopped and actually called my husband. We needed to make a choice. What was the cost of the two scoops he had in hand? He told me Paula’s was about $10. And the Oneida one was closer to $8.50. Decision made. I was sold.We went with the Oneida. Sorry Paula. My hubby was home in a flash, proud of his purchase. I got there a short time later. And I’m happy to say my craving for a homemade ice cream cone was satisfied at last. Mango Sorbet never tasted so good.

6 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Glad you got your cone! I love ice cream cones but it takes me awhile to get through a box of cones and I was so disappointed when I got around to having one last week the cone was stale. Now I have over half a box to throw away. No doubt I'll get more but meanwhile I have all that ice cream just waiting.

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Not all engineers are wired the same, I know people are often surprised that I are one :o)

jack69 said...

Yeah, I usually go for the cheapest one, then when it breaks, try to fix it or figure why it failed, and use that scientific dta to get the replacement. hahahaha.
I love the entry...
Jack & Sherry

Buttercup said...

Thanks for your visits to Buttercup's. Look forward to visiting here often.

Forty Pound Sack said...

Ice cream is one of life's great pleasures. Choosing a scoop is serious stuff!

Sonya said...

Ya'll crack me up. Sounds just like life here. Wish I liked Mussels better. I tried them once and was surprised that I was not totally repelled by them. lol But I still cannot bring myself to order them! George, however, loves to order muscles on a bed of pasta when we eat at a fancy restaurant. Take care! Enjoy that ice cream.