Tuesday, November 1, 2011

UNBURDEN MYSELF OF DRUGS



The truth is I have trouble throwing most things away. I always think it will be important later. So I save stuff. But when something is potentially dangerous, like motor oil and old batteries, I do my level best to dispose of it, properly. But what about old or unused medications? For the past 20 years or so, my husband and I have acquired quite a stash. The street value of these meds had to be in the thousands of dollars. I didn’t want them to fall into the wrong hands by dumping them in the trash. And somehow it didn’t seem right to flush them down the toilet either. So I put them in a bag in the closet, adding more to the pile, each time we went to the doctor, and there were leftovers. For a while now I have been complaining to my local pharmacy that I had these old prescribed drugs and had no means to get rid of them. They told me to dump them in the garbage, or boil them in a big pot of water, then flush them down the commode. I recited my mantra about polluting the water supply, hurting fish, wildlife, and even people. And I talked of my paranoia about bad guys ransacking my trash, dumpster diving, finding the meds, then reselling them on the black market or online. My complaints fell on deaf ears. So I just kept filling the bags in the closet. Then I heard some startling statistics. Approximately 70% of kids that abuse drugs, do it, with old precriptions from their family and friend’s medicine chests. Another half a million children, aged 5 and under, will be poisoned by household medications. How sad. Because my daughters are grown and our visits with the grandchildren are usually at their houses, locking up our medications isn’t necessary here. But, I was wary of the fact there seemed to be no solution for this disposal problem, I had. Then, imagine my complete surprise, when out of the blue, a DISPOSE MEDS PROGRAM Flyer showed up in my grocery bag last week. The program was being sponsored by the College Of Pharmacy at a local University. They were setting up booths around town to collect old medications from local residents. Police would be on hand to assure proper transfer of the drugs. According to the college, everything would be disposed of with high temperature incineration in a contained vessel, not hurting the environment. This clinched the deal. Years of worry were over. I was delighted to finally unburden myself, and the bathroom closet of 12-15 lbs. of old pills. GOOD RIDDANCE.

20 comments:

Donna said...

I saw something on the local news about a program like that. We never seem to end up with leftover drugs and meds.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I think there is a need for such programs. I've known a lot of people with the same problem. Thankfully I don't take anything but an occasional aspirin so I don't accumulate anything.

Raindrops and Daisies said...

What a brilliant idea.

Great that the university have set something up like this.
It is a worry trying to dispose of drugs
but you have a great solution there.

Good luck and have a good week.

Fiona x

That corgi :) said...

Hadn't heard of such a program, but I do like it! I admire your diligence not wanting to pollute the water supply, etc. I have to admit when hubby was getting rid of the meds accummulated here, he just ran them through the garbage disposal. I like this idea so much more better. I will have to see if our community has such a service available.

betty

jack69 said...

Fortunately we have no stash. But Just mentioning it makes me sick, DRUGS, the curse of The USA and the world.

Anyway glad you found a solution to a constant problem to you! Good for you!

Nelle said...

What a waste that so many meds were leftover and you paid for them. I crush pills and put them in my garbage separate from the containers. I ask doctors to give me samples if they can and small amounts until I know I can use a certain drug. I hate taking meds anyway. Glad this worked for you and you are now rid of those meds. More areas need this kind of way to get rid of them.

Lori said...

Our pharmacy has a program like that. It's a very good idea.

Bobbi said...

I've never heard of this program before... Good idea!

Lucy said...

I only have a few old, and by old, I mean old, left over. Every year we do the same. They set up sites and we can take our old drugs to one of the locations and they dispose of them. I know I have been ding a lot of complaining on my blog. Everyone listens to me and I feel better. I promise it does get less complaints and I am so glad you came to my blog. My favorite thing is to say "the bloggers I have had for years are the best and when You visited that made me even happier."

Hollie said...

That's a great way to rid yourself of old drugs. I wish there was a place like that here!

Whosyergurl said...

My corgi accidentally ate a packet of pills that were either in Doug's pocket or on the floor. She almost died. I am now on a mission to get rid of old drugs and am very unhappy when I find anything he leaves about.
Good job on that!
Cheryl

Ina in Alaska said...

Glad you were able to get rid of those old medications!

By the way, those Pumpkin Whoopie Pies are DELICIOUS!! Since it is only me and my husband, Mr. O, at home, I made two batches of 12 each. We kept 4 and I sent the rest to some very very happy neighbors. They were very well received. I doubled the filling recipe and really was lavish and generous with filling.

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Our community has a regular "dispose of drugs" campaign, glad you have access now to one as well.

Formerly known as Frau said...

They just did that here too...such a smart way to get rid of the leftovers! It's scary to think of the disparate drug users ran sacking a house looking for their next fix...
Have a wonderful weekend!

Lyn said...

Thanks for stopping by my Blog and leaving a comment.
I think our local Pharmacies are willing to dispose of old prescriptions

~mel said...

I'm happy for you that you FINALLY were able to dispose of them. We are able to take old drugs into our pharmacy or to the clinic for disposal. I remember a cousin of mine who had a gallon jar full of old pills displayed high up on a shelf in her bedroom ~ I wonder what ever became of that?? She was a little "out there" if you know what I mean ... I hope she wasn't just dipping in them and playing russian roulette with them.

Buttercup said...

What a great idea. I've got prescription drugs and vitamins that are expired. I'll be checking for a place to discard them close by.

Have a great week!

Pam said...

I saw one of the local news stations did a series on what's in your medicine cabinet (well, not your, but people in general). And the people were amazed at how much money their old prescriptions were worth on the street. I go through my son's meds every once in a while and get rid of the expired ones along, but I just dumped them down the drain. I never thought about the poor fish!

Sheila Y said...

I'm glad you found a great solution for your expired meds. I'll have to keep a look out for something like that in our community. Take care, Sheila

anthony said...

good solution for expired medicine carry on this idea.

Usmle Step 1