Monday, November 28, 2011

IT'S A WRAP, THE FEAST IS OVER



 We had a wonderful Thanksgiving celebrating with my parents on the East Coast. We weren't sure we were going to make the trip. My husband had been very sick and they live 9 hours away. But it had been quite a while since we had been back home. So we decided it was just what the doctor ordered. My mom pulled out all the stops for our visit making a tableful of favorites. Candied yams, green beans with bacon, oyster stuffing, cranberry sauce, creamed corn, sauerkraut and of course Tom Turkey and crabcakes. Her pies and desserts were out of this world. Coconut Cream, Pumpkin, Cheesecake, Banana Nut and her special Fruitcake. My dad proposed a toast that brought tears to our eyes. He also made a slideshow of  everything that had happened around their house, that we had missed for the past 3 or 4 years. We watched that on TV.  It was so good to be with our family. We talked and talked into the wee hours of the morning. Then when my parents headed off to bed, the hubby and I got adventurous. At 2am we left to do a little bargain hunting on Black Friday.  At our first location, no shopping carts were to be found and there were long lines. But I snagged a toaster oven. The one we have is on it's last leg, so this will be a good replacement. The next place we went to, kind of surprised us. Nobody was there. I kid you not, the place was empty. But they had merchandise out the wazoo, stacked ceiling to floor. It was a blast looking through it all. Nothing we really needed, though, so we left around 5am. We fell into bed exhausted, but pleased with our one find. Gluttons for punishment when we woke up, we ventured out again. I know what you all must think of that. Please don't judge us. Frankly, we were curious if anything GOOD was still left and we were having fun. It takes so little to thrill us. We are on a fixed income and finding a GREAT deal is critical. So we had to scout them out. My hubby managed to pick up an Early Bird special, that was drastically reduced, at the computer store. It was 12 noon and he got the very last one. And he also got a variety of his Keurig K-Cups. Coffee never tasted so good. Meanwhile, I  found a Christmas Tree Shower Curtain and hooks for the bathroom. Just BEAUTIFUL. And a pair of winter boots. We also went grocery shopping for all the things we can't find where we live... stocking up on them, since we don't know when... we are going to pass this way again. Found everything we wanted, EXCEPT for the EGG BARLEY. Apparently the only place to get it is online. Thank goodness for the internet and Cyber Monday. LOL  I just want to say, in closing... there was no drama at any of the stores we went too. People were polite and nice, contrary to what you  hear in the news. It is unfortunate it couldn't be that way everywhere. I'd love to show you pictures of everyone but they are shy and prefer not to be seen online.

So we have WRAPPED up one holiday, putting away the turkey and the trimmings, replacing them with festive Christmas decorations. The countdown has begun. Santa wants to know if you've been naughty or nice.

23 comments:

Mary said...

It sounds like you really enjoyed your holiday. I found my way here by chance, but I consider that to be a happy accident. Because I am new I spent some time browsing through your earlier posts. You've created a great spot for your readers to visit and I really enjoyed the time I spent here. I'll be back. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

Nezzy said...

Yep, I with ya all the way!!! Now, that I'm wobblin' worse than the proverbial turkey, I'm ready to celebrate Christmas!!! I'm so glad ya'll had a great one.

He sweetie, I'm tryin' to locate busybeemama to thank her for hoppin' on my blog and her profile doesn't have contact info.

I noticed she's a member over here too. Ya have any help in contactin' her???

Thanks...

God bless your beautiful week!!!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You could certainly tell that was an east coast dinner with the crab cakes and oyster stuffing. Two things that weren't on my menu for sure. I am so glad you got to go and visit. Hope your Monday is a great one!

Rose said...

Sounds like a perfect holiday going back home. You must be exhausted with all the shopping but still fun.

You will look back as a memorable one for sure! Hope hubby is feeling better.

jack69 said...

You made it all sound like a winner. Especially the toast by your dad. It is great that all were happy even the late night shoppers. Also glad to hear the good things about actions and manners.
Love it
Good entry,.

Belle said...

What a great holiday! It is great your parents made a slideshow of the past few years. Glad you got some good bargains.

That corgi :) said...

Sounds like it was a very nice Thanksgiving! I am sure you will treasure the memory of it in the days ahead! The food sounds so delicious! Your mom must be a very good cook! I do think you did great with the bargains you got too for Black Friday! I think the bargains are great on it, I just don't like those instances when people push and shove and people get hurt while others are trying to rush for this item or that item.

You are right, now onto Christimas! I'm thinking this year I've been more naughty than nice, LOL :)

betty

Pat MacKenzie said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful holiday - and lots of good shopping. Now the fun of Christmas begins. It's good to have you back in bloggyland.

Lucy said...

I tried to comment yesterday, but it would not post. My day was like that in all aspects yesterday and the day before. Sounds like you had a really nice Thanksgiving. Good food, and if you are like me a couple of pounds heavier.

Buttercup said...

What a nice visit. I don't brave the stores in the wee hours, but did a little shopping on Friday -- had two very good coupons -- and the stores weren't awfully crowded, just busy. I like the K-kups, too.

Lucy said...

I was never so happy to see you found me. I was not sure if my blog even showed. Thanks. Hope your day is a good one.

Raindrops and Daisies said...

Great to hear that you had a good Thanksgiving.

I haven't really started shopping for Christmas yet and can't believe that it is only 25 days away.....

Wishing you everything that you would wish for yourself.

Take care my friend.


x Fiona

Red Rose Alley said...

I can't believe your mom made all those pies...delicious. Sounds like you had a great time shopping. Glad that you got what you wanted. You know, I never go out shopping the day after Thanksgiving, but the girls were in town so we did, and the crowds weren't that bad. Yes, the Christmas season has begun, and I hope you have many special moments during this time. You are blessed to still have your mom and dad. I lost my dad over 20 years ago, and my mom almost three years ago. They are in my heart every day. Thanks for always visiting, my friend.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Soos said...

Those desserts sound yum. Winter boots are a good thing!

Sheila Y said...

Welcome back! I'm glad you had a great Thanksgiving with your family. Sounds like you had a lot of fun on your black Friday outing. Take care, Sheila

Jennifer MacNeill-Traylor said...

Sounds like you had a really wonderful Thanksgiving. The food sounded so yummy! I need to go out and get some holiday deals (I need a toaster oven too:)

Lucy said...

I am hoping this will post. Since you commented a while back, DD is the only one that seems to be able to connect with me. Hope you are having better luck with your blog.

Bobbi said...

It sounds like you had a wonderful thanksgiving with your family!! All of that food must have been so delicious... Good for you.. venturing out in the wee hours on black friday. I went somewhere in the middle of the day when all of the die hards were more than likely home in bed. haha. Now to get ready for the next holiday... Oh, and on your last sentence... I saw this shirt in a store in Hagerstown and had to get it... It says : Dear Santa, Define Good. LOL!

Lucy said...

I hope you are feeling 100% better. I am so sorry you have been ill. I am back to blogging now. DD finally helped me figure the problem. It was in my settings.

Far Side of Fifty said...

Sounds like your Mom is a good cook! Let the shopping begin..or not:)

Forty Pound Sack said...

Your decorations are fabulous! The snowman is my favorite, though I have to admit, it takes a lot for me to pass over a snowman. Unless you have a penguin stashed somewhere.....

Lucy said...

We can not afford to buy for anyone this year. I got my Blue Cross insurance card and they will be deducting 84.48 every month. That is pathetic but at least they don't exclude me because of the A-fib. My header is an old picture. I am going to see if I can get Joe to bring up what little we put up. We have snow and ice, heavy. Take care.

Funny in My Mind said...

Your family dinner sounds ideal, I am so happy your parents are still around, lucky you!
I hope your hubby is feeling better!
It is nice to hear good Black Friday stories.
Those silly Keurig cups are expensive! Where does he get his? I usually hit up Sam's for ours.