Monday, December 12, 2011

PLYWOOD FIGURES LIGHT UP THE NIGHT

My husband and I had a bit of Cabin Fever. So we got in the van and headed down the road,  far away from here. It was an all day event. We did some Christmas Shopping. And  splurged, a little, by eating out.  Ate lunch at a GREEK restaurant and later had dinner at Denny's using our senior discounts. It was getting late, but we didn't want the day to end. So before going back home, we took a detour. There is a little town, off the beaten path, in Northwest Ohio called Bluffton. Every year for Christmas, they do up the town for the holidays with pretty lights,  and painted plywood cutouts. The Town Square, by the church is the focal point of this celebration. Most people along the route, in and out, of town... adorn their yards with these distinctive wooden figures creating interesting vignettes. We own some of them ourselves because we fell in love with these kinds of displays the first time we came to Bluffton over 20 years ago. Of course, we did not know we'd be stopping there on this particular night. So we had no camera. Just our cellphones. The pictures aren't the greatest, but you can get an idea of how extensive this event is.  Here is an example of what we saw along the way. ENJOY! Tis the Season to rejoice in all things. 
CHILDREN BUILDING A SNOWMAN

AMERICAN SANTA HOLDING FLAG

TURTLE, PENGUIN, DUCK & BEAR LOOKING AT CHRISTMAS TREE

GREAT GRANDMA READING TO CHILDREN

A GIRL SCOUT CHOIR

BOY SCOUTS AND FRIENDS SINGING CAROLS

ICE SKATERS

PREACHER

A GENTLEMAN OUT AND ABOUT

A MAN DELIVERING PACKAGES


A BOY WITH HIS RED SLED
REINDEER PLAYING

A HORSE AND SLEIGH


SANTA FEEDING RACOONS


PEOPLE GATHERING


MUSIC PLAYING


MAILING A LETTER TO THE NORTH POLE

A SHEPARD TENDING SHEEP

A SHEPARD BOY

MARY AND JOSEPH

MAKING THE JOURNEY TO BETHLEHEM

 

THE NATIVITY

And  look who followed us home.
A REINDEER

WHAT SHOULD WE NAME HIM?


22 comments:

Tami said...

I think you should name the reindeer SCOTTY. He is plaid like a Scotland Kilt.

Those cutouts must have taken a long time to do. Wow! Amazing to me. I like the ice skaters the best.

Pam said...

Wow, that's amazing. Can you imagine all the people drawing those, cutting them out with saws and painting them. Someone in my town has a Santa Claus made out of plywood similar to that. Wonder if that is where they got the idea.

just call me jo said...

An artistic friend of mine used to make wooden cut outs. The painting is the tricky part. You could name the deer Tartan in keeping with your name and his plaid. Fun post.

Red Rose Alley said...

Ahhhh...a horse and sleigh. I've always wanted to go some wintery snowy night on a horse and sleigh. Those wooden cut outs are so festive. I love Mary and Joseph too. And that reindeer you brought home is so cute. Oh, did you know my father was part Greek? Me and the kids went to this little Greek restaurant the other day in our town, and the food was so good. You and your husband had a great day out celebrating the season. I enjoyed looking at all the yard decorations in Bluffton.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

What a beautiful place that is. I love riding around and seeing the displays at Christmas time. The pictures are wonderful. Glad you had such a great day out. It's nice to splurge once in a while!

Belle said...

It is nice when a community does something like this. These are great cut-outs, I'll bet the children of the city are excited seeing them. Hubby and I drive around town looking at lights and displays too.

jack69 said...

WOW, I love to go to towns that have a traditional theme and it grows. Sites are beautiful and your trip sounded great. Thanks for taking us along, I love a trip!!!!
From Florida with LOVE

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I get my bayberry candles from the Root Candle Factory in Medina Ohio. I know they have a website and I bet you could order them.

Lucy said...

That is great!! What a sight to see. We are usually going with Jack on trips so it was really nice to go on a Christmas trip. I posted a new post of a Birthday boy. It will be on for a day or so.

That corgi :) said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip you took! I like how you detoured to go to Bluffton so you could share the images with us! I think it is neat the whole town participates with the wood figures, and what a display of them! I bet the little kids eyes light up when they see it all (mine would too!)

I think your new reindeer, assuming it is a girl, should be named Sadie. I don't know, seems to fit her I think!

thanks for sharing your fun time with us!

betty

Ina in Alaska said...

Thanks for taking us with you to Bluffton (and the Greek lunch and dinner at Denny's) although I must say honestly that I HATE Denny's food! Went to a meeting there this past summer and how can a hamburger be bad tasting!! Oh well, rant over and I won't eat there again. LOVE the figures, many great scenes, loved the ice skaters.

Love your little Scottish reindeer. I am with Tami, "Scottie" is a great name!

Sheila Y said...

Thanks for taking us along on a Christmas trip. It's great when a town can get together and do something like that. Only name I can come up with is 'checkers'. Take care, Sheila

Forty Pound Sack said...

What a fun town! Just love those ice skaters. Greek food is my favorite, and we don't have a Greek place around here. I'm jealous, LOL!

~mel said...

Oh sure ~ the reindeer just followed you home...LOL It looks like you and yours had a fun day! WOW on all that plywood ~ that's a LOT of work being displayed there. You did a great job capturing the shots with your cell phone. Thanks for sharing:)

Beth Dunn said...

Tartan? He is too cute!
xoxo
SC

Buttercup said...

I'd never heard of this, but so enjoyed the tour. I'm thinking it's time for me to go "off the beaten path" and go somewhere I've not been before.

Diann said...

How fun! And what great cutouts. Troy and I have traveled the roads of this country extensively and we both agree that Ohio has the most wonderful little towns.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Wow what an amazing job the little town does! I love the cutouts! Your reindeer is adorable....what did you name him?

Pat MacKenzie said...

Those are some very creative plywood figures. Are they produced locally? The whole town seems to support the industry. I like them.

Thanks for your suggestion about using a different browser to post comments. I'm using Safari on my iPad and I think it's working!

Cher' Shots said...

I found you over at my sister Mel's blog. (upnorthwithmel) WOW ... that is a lot of plywood cutouts. I'll bet it was even more beautiful in real life.
'hugs from afar'

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

That is an amazing assortment.

One day at a time said...

Your photos are lovely, very festive! i will get festive on my blog when the teenage daughter brings the camera home! ha!
Yes "The Secret" is quite something and very slowly i am finding myself question my negative thinking pattern, which can only be a positive thing.
Its morning here in Cambridge and weather reports say we are going to have mild weather for christmas, so i intend with my husband to get out and about walking our dog.
Wishing you a lovely day, jackie x