Friday, February 24, 2012

IT'S CRAZY, YOU'RE EIGHTY

Today you hit a MILESTONE birthday, Dad. Because you didn’t want a fancy SOIREE or GIFTS. I have racked my brain with just how to celebrate this BIG occasion. On your 70th I posted a TRIBUTE to you on my website. I listed a few interesting factoids. "In the year you were born, 1932... unemployment was 24%. The cost of a postage stamp was two cents. Physicists split the atom for the first time. MGM ‘s Grand Hotel became a classic. And the Yankees won baseball’s prize for the best." I talked about how much you loved mom's SWISS STEAK, Spaghetti Westerns and the music of Hank Williams, Sr. I mentioned that you once threw a snowball, through the local church’s stained glass window... when you were a kid... much to the chagrin of the Parish priest and nuns. You’ve always been a handful. Ask mom. That HALO on your head has needed polishing from time to time. But to your credit, you have nurtured friendships that have spanned more than 7 ½ decades. You also LOVE your country, having served in the Navy. As a TV guy you have had your share of memorable moments. You have met famous people, some not so famous. None of that phased you. You have been on the sidelines of major sporting events. Football in particular. Though, I remember you snagging some cool VIP seats at a couple of baseball games, back in the day. As a toddler I had a bat and ball in my hand before I could walk. You were grooming me for a spot on the HOME team. Then my brother came along and he got the position. But I didn’t fret. I was on to the next thing. We used to get up at the crack of dawn to drive you to work. We only had ONE vehicle back then. Driving to the city was always fun, except for the morning I threw up in the backseat. Didn’t mom empty your lunchbag for that purpose. Do you remember that? Speaking of driving… When I was learning to drive, I suddenly FROZE, stopping right in the middle of a busy expressway. Cars whizzing past at lightening speed. You calmly opened the passenger door, got out and replaced me in the driver’s seat. When we got home you finally exploded about how we both could have been killed. But it wasn’t in the cards, was it? We’re still here, the pair of us. So many stories, Dad. Not enough space here to rehash them all. If we had the time, we could reminisce for hours. We wanted to do that. The plan was to drive back there to the East Coast and take you to dinner and be at your side to blow out the candles on your cake. But suddenly I had to babysit for grandchildren at the last minute. My hubby started sneezing, got a fever, runny nose, sore throat and chills. Then snow was predicted. But we were hopeful. So we sat on the plan to see how things played out, later in the week, hoping for the best. Instead things got worse. Grandkids are a handful. It wore me out, but good. Hubby feeling more miserable than ever. Then if all that weren't enough, my right knee gave out... putting me in excruciating pain all over again, making walking difficult at best. (I know, I need surgery. No lectures please.) I'm really mad our best efforts were thwarted. Life wouldn’t cooperate. We couldn’t make the trek back there, melting all those miles between us. We are stuck here. You are stuck there. And it’s your 80th birthday. What a bummer we can’t all be together. It saddens me more than you know. So now we are going to have to improvise. SKYPE will help. So be prepared for an online visit, instead. OKAY! Thank GOD for the internet. It’s the next best thing to being there. Throughout the years, you’ve encountered the BEST of times and the WORST of times, DAD. In fact... you were so teeny tiny, on the day you were born... they bundled you up and placed you inside a shoebox... then placed it in an open dresser, thinking you wouldn’t make it through the night. But you HELD your own, didn't you? And SURPRISE, SURPRISE... here you are... all these years later, going strong. " HAPPY 80th BIRTHDAY, DAD." The COGITATION today is... "How OLD would you BE, if you didn’t KNOW how OLD you were?" Do you have an answer? Something to contemplate as you head into this next decade. We LOVE you.
video
CRAZY PEOPLE by THE BOSWELL SISTERS 1932

31 comments:

RoeH said...

When you do that reminicing, sneak a recorder in your pocket. My dad would get into talking moods and tell stories from his birth on up and I never had a recorder. You just never knew when he was going to do that. Sweet post!

Raindrops and Daisies said...

What a l lovely lovely post Taryterre.

Happy 80th to your Dad.

Fantastic.


xxx

Forty Pound Sack said...

I love this post! Your dad sounds like a special guy. So great that you have such a strong relationship. Happy Birthday to your daddy, and hugs to you both ~

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

A very Happy Birthday to your Dad today. Hope you get to enjoy your Skype time with him. The internet is wonderful for keeping us all closer. Sorry your week turned out the way it did. I know I've had those times too when plans didn't work out. Hope you can get some rest now and enjoy your Friday!

Lucy said...

What a lovely trbute to your dad. How could he ask for any other gift. My dad was nearkly 60 when I was born and mom 49 and the last of 10 kids. You are so blessed to stillhave your dad. He is 2 years younger than me.

just call me jo said...

Happy Birthday! Dad sounds like a real gem, for sure. I hope he has a pleasant 80th.

BEACH BUNGALOW said...

YOU ARE A SWEETHEART!

S
xo

alphawoman said...

I loved this!! My dad was born in 1919 and weighed a little over four pounds. They carried him around on a pillow. They thought he would not survive, but he did! He lived to be 88!! i miss my Dad so much. Happy birthday to your Dad!

jack69 said...

I love a good story, you spin a good one with Dad's life. Some very interesting moments, even dropping back to the shoe box at birth.
I am amazed at the OLD stories about that. But glad to hear one confirmed as real.
Good entry and tribute!!! GOOD STUFF IN LIFE, WE MUST REMEMBER THE GOOD STUFF!

Funny in My Mind said...

Wonderful tribute to your daddy!
Can you record the Skype conversation? That would be nice to have.
Hope the knee, the husband and the grandkids improve soon.

One day at a time said...

Terrytare that is a lovely post you write in honour of your dads birthday! Your dad sounds like he has kept you all on your toes and is a character, sounds like he raised an adoring daughter.
I wish your pa a very happy birthday from across the pond,thank you once again for your support with your lovely comments you write me. Have a wonderful weekend. Best wishes to you all jackie x

Helen said...

That is a great tribute to your dad on his Birthday, He was a tiney tiny thing when he was born. Happy Birthday To Him! Helen

Paula said...

A very happy birthday to your Dad. Hope you get to visit him soon. Nice tribute you did for him.

Belle said...

Wonderful post about your dad. I wish him a Happy Birthday too. I loved reading all the memories you have of him. Sorry you can't go, but have a good time on Skype.

Nezzy said...

Happy, Happy eighty to you dear daddy!!!

What a wonderful birthday present this is for him. I'm sure he'll be thrilled sweetie.

God bless and have a great day celebratin' this wonderful fella!!! :o)

Cliff said...

Well Happy Birthday Dad. You did good. Raised a great daughter, you can't top that.
Great tribute here. Your Dad will be proud to read it and I'm sure he has.

Buttercup said...

Happy birthday, Taryterre's dad! Big cheers and wishes for lots of happiness and lots to celebrate in the years to come!

Jean said...

Great tribute to your dad and say Happy Birthday to him for me. I hope you and your husband is feeling better. Take care. Jean

Life Line said...

I enjoy reading your story.... nice & sweet....

Lori said...

Glad to know your dad is still going strong at 80!!

Rose said...

This is such a lovely heartfelt story. I enjoyed reading the warmth in your words.

Happy Birthday to your Dad!

Hugs, Rose

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

Happy Birthday Dad!

TARYTERRE said...

I want to THANK each and every one of my blog buddies who wished my Dad a HAPPY 80th. It meant MORE than you'll ever know, to him and I. You guys are the BEST.

Soos said...

Belated Hau'oli la Hanau to your dad!

Nelle said...

Is he near NJ? Maybe you can go when it's a bit warmer in the Spring and have a late celebration. My Mom turned 80 Jan. 27th. It was her first birthday without my Dad so a bit difficult but we managed to celebrate. Wishing your Dad many happy returns!

Pam said...

Happy belated Birthday to your Daddy! BTW, I would be 35 if I didn't know how old I really was.

Red Rose Alley said...

What a great story about your dad, Tarryterre. It was written so well, and I loved all the funny little things you guys shared together. The 'driving one' really hit home for me because when my son had drivers training, they put him on the busy freeway Yikes! Thank God, he made it, and drives the freeways all the time now. Sorry you weren't able to see your dad on his special day, but you're right, the computer is the next best thing. Please tell your dad I said Happy Birthday. I lost my dad over 20 years ago, and I was only 28 years old - not at all ready to lose someone that was so dear to me. Give your dad a hug when you see him... he raised a good daughter. Have a good week.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Pat MacKenzie said...

What sweet memories you have of your Dad. It's nice that you're writing them down and sharing them via your blog.

Re: Y&R - it's the only soap I watch and I always PVR it when we go away. I think Victor and Genevieve make a great team - they're so much alike. Wanna bet Nicky and Jack end up together (again) and Victor and Genevieve? Seems like a natural fit.

Roses around the door... said...

Morning Tarytere, just saying hi from little England, we were told we would have sunshine and mild weather but the last two days have been cloudy.
Hope you are all rested from having your grandchildren, i am having Eva & Lou lou man on saturday evening.
Wishing you all a lovely day, best wishes jackie x

Lucy said...

Well, I am back as far as I know. Problems with pharmacy, price bout made me have a heart attack, made them give Joe a refund pf 176.00 and told them to keep the scripts. If I get them they should be 66.00 and that is for the 2 of them. My knee gave out a little but I was right by the desk, so it was ok. I am just a bundle of good news. Take care of your knees.

ain't for city gals said...

Yippee for dads!! and Happy Birthday to yours! You are so right in the comment you left me...my life will never be the same..in a very good way...xoxo