Sunday, February 5, 2012

PIONEER WOMAN, SUPERBOWL & SYNAGOGUE

I come from a long line of sport lovers. But my husband is NOT into sports of any kind, unless it’s The Olympics. Therefore he does not follow basketball, baseball, or football on a regular basis. He has no team in the game. Throughout the years... we’ve done a wide variety of things... on SuperBowl Sunday... to pass the time, while everyone else partied. But MOSTLY we did NOT watch the game, under any circumstances. Having grown up with sports as part of my weekend ritual, this no participation rule of his, IRKED me. I began to feel like we, as a couple, were on the outside looking in. CHAMPIONSHIP games were a BIG deal. I wanted to see them. EVENTUALLY, over the course of time, I got my husband to cave in. But... he had to justify WHY in his mind. We both LOVE the clever way businesses try to entice customers with their commercials. And since SuperBowl Sunday is when they UP the ANTE... we started to watch the BIG game, just so we could see the commercials and of course, the halftime entertainment... according to my husband. WHATEVER the reason, we were FINALLY watching... and that's all that mattered to me. For munchies, I would put out a bowl of chips, a fresh veggie platter, and that was it. But my hubby wasn’t happy with that. He wanted MORE. We couldn’t agree on what, though? He did NOT want to eat the same things I did. I was pulling out my hair trying to come up with a spread that satisfied us both. One complaint followed another, by him. I was FED up listening to it. Truth is... he didn’t really want to partake in this National Holiday of Sport, so he was being difficult... and THAT made me MAD. Football was something I always LOVED. So I snapped. "You take what you can get," I told him. "Or make your own." It got his attention. We made peace with each other. It was then, quite by accident… that my husband discovered that the local synagogue made CARRYOUT Brown Bag LUNCHES for Superbowl Sunday. It was their annual fundraiser. (The local churches did nothing.) Each meal included a DELI-STYLE Corned Beef sandwich, fresh potato salad, sauerkraut, and a mouthwatering dessert. My husband decided to give it a try. He LOVES his Corned Beef stacked high, slathered with brown mustard and a crisp dill pickle on the side. This Brown Bag Lunch fit the bill. It reminded him of his days growing up in the BIG city. So a NEW tradition at our house was born. For well over 20 years, my hubby has been going to Temple Beth Israel to get his DELI sandwich each SuperBowl Sunday. Thank you wonderful ladies for making my Chef duties easier and for keeping him happy, the past couple decades. I pass on getting the meal, myself...  no offense to anybody... because I HATE corned beef. Always have. Always will.  Therefore, I will be eating... Pioneer Woman, Chicken Wings with Blue Cheese. There will also be fresh fruit and veggie platters on the table. For the record, my husband NOW actually WATCHES the TEAMS spar. As for me, well I couldn’t be happier… I still ENJOY seeing all those TIGHT ENDS. That’s our GAME plan. What’s yours?
                                           

27 comments:

Whosyergurl said...

*Giggle* What girl doesn't like a tight end?
I watch the game for the commercials, too. We may go to our friend's house. Or not. Does not matter to me. Enjoy!
xo, Cheryl

Jon said...

I love the Olympics and baseball and soccer - - but I've always hated football. I'll watch a football game, however, if good grub is involved. Since all of your food sounds delicious, I hope you'll invite me over.
By the way, I love corned beef AND chicken wings!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'm not a big sports fan so for me the day will pretty much be like any other Sunday here at my house. No plans and no special treats. I may tune in for half time just to see what's going on. Hope you both enjoy your food and the game!

Hollie said...

I'm glad you get to enjoy your game! I'm not into sports either, but I will be having snacks for the guys & Hannah. They love their sports also!

Raindrops and Daisies said...

Hi Tarytierre

I am not a sports fan either
BUT TODAY
Ireland are playing Wales in the rugby so I will be glued to the tv at 2.30pm!!!

Come on the boys in green!!

Have a lovely day Tarytierre

x

Buttercup said...

I like corned beef and wings. I like to watch sports, baseball especially, but this year I will definitely be cheering on our New York Giants!

Ally Lifewithally said...

I used to love going to football matches ~ but now I just watch them on television ~ Ally x

Tami said...

I don't think I've ever met a man who doesn't like to watch the Super Bowl. *WOW* Our family is a huge sports family. (you already know about the hockey, right?) The boys also enjoy lacrosse and football. I think they just like to knock someone over.
We have hosted our own Super Bowl party over the years. This one is going to be the biggest amount of people, so I have ALOT to do today. Enjoy the commercials, half time show and the game!

Lucy said...

We can't watch the game unless a miracle thaw takes place. Our "dosh" froze up and at 82 and 75 not going on the roof of the porch to clear snow from it. When you get back to my blog scroll all the way to the bottom and you will see why it froze. Husbands can be a pain, can't they.

One day at a time said...

How funny!!!
We are starting to get the olympic fever here! Best wishes jackie x

jack69 said...

Sherry is also the sports nut here. But I have no problem with it. I watch. We were really into it when the boys were around.
I am surprised you didn't just short circuit the problem and Fuss and yell in the beginning"I AM WATCHING YOU CAN GO FISHING!!!" hahahahahahaha
Yeah Iknow, peace in the family, smart.
Love from here.

Belle said...

Don't you love not having to cook or make anything at all! My hubby loves Chines food and brings home enough once a week that I don't cook for three days!

I'm so glad your hubby caved and watches the game with you. Have fun today.

Bucko (a.k.a., Ken) said...

We are huge football fans, so Superbowl Sunday is always as spread of finger food; shrimp, cheese, olives, crackers, roasted garlic, veggies. Hope you enjoy the game.

Angela said...

I am most definitely a football fan, college or pro, and I get pumped for March Madness every year (although I'll skip most basketball games leading up to it). I like to eat chicken wings and bowls of cheese dip with plenty of margaritas and loud fans around me. I guess for me it's all about the experience... I don't know. Maybe it's just that need to be a part of something (and the guys in tight pants don't exactly turn me away either).

Ha! =)

Many blessings to you,
Angela

Forty Pound Sack said...

Mmmmmm, chicken wings.....I made BBQ pulled pork and cole slaw. I wanted to make wings, too, but the Hubs vetoed that. Not sure why, as wings are his favorite. Sounds like you and your Hubs have done very well with the art of compromise!

Formerly known as Frau said...

Corn beef ....no thank you I'll take a wing over that anyway! It was I good game....I'm not a huge football fan but love the super bowl!

Diann said...

I didn't really watch the game but, I watched the commercials (kinda disappointing this year I thought) and I watched the half game show. I had been looking forward to going to my brothers house for his super bowl party. He always has tons of great food. But, I am just gettting better from having 3 days of the stomach flu and the thought of all the food was too much for me!

Lucy said...

Speaking of your husband as being just the opposite of what you wanted, are you sure you did not have my husband down there? lol It is snowing again here. Light so far.

Nelle said...

I made sausages with onions and peppers and had rolls to put them on. Also a big salad and some tostito chips and queso dip. I'm not a football fan either but I enjoy the commercials and usually I enjoy the half time show. I thought Madonna's was one of the worst ever. Only her last song was ok. I love a good corned beef sandwich and since we are so close to NY you can get a great one here. Some come with the corned beef, swiss and cole slaw on rye bread. They are delish!!!! Now my mouth is watering. lol So glad you are feeling better my friend and that you were able to enjoy this. :)

Missie said...

I hate football. Actually, I'm not a sportsfan at all. My hubby watched the game in the rec-room.

An Earth Mama said...

What a *wonderful* story & tradition!!! And what a smart idea for the synogogue fundraiser!! Leave it to the women to come up with the right answers to "tight" funds! *lol*

Soos said...

It's all about compromise, isn't it. The younger you are, the less you understand that!

Red Rose Alley said...

I'm glad Super Blowl Day worked out for the both of you. You got your treats and he got his. That is nice that they make brown bag lunches. You know, I'm not a big Super Bowl fan, but my husband loves it. My son played football for many years, and I loved loved watching him play. One year he made MVP. We had many good years enjoying the sport. I really liked this post today, as I could definately relate to football.

~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

Bobbi said...

What a great idea! The lunch sounded great! Glad your hubby is happy now. I'm not a huge football fan but hubby is and we do always celebrate superbowl quietly... Were you pleased with the outcome?

Diann said...

That is such a cool fundraiser! I love that idea.

Pat MacKenzie said...

Lloyd and I don't watch football together...he watches the occasional Canadian football league games. I find them too long and tedious. Give me hockey any day. Your tradition sounds very lovely and sweet.

Cliff said...

We go to our son's house 90 miles away. I think the reason I go is to meet the neat families that they are friends with. They do a nice job of choosing quality folks to socialize with. Well that and I always bring the smoked salmon that everyone goes nuts for.
I have one question about your hubbys sandwich. Although I too love corned beef fixed in a number of ways,,,has he had the nerve to go in and ask if they have any pulled pork? I'm sorry but my sense of humor would 'Make' me do it.