Friday, July 20, 2012

SUGAR AND SPICE AND EVERYTHING NICE

My doctor did not sugar coat this NEW news. In one fell swoop, she pulled out my sweet tooth, telling me I’m DIABETIC, sucking all the joy right out of my life. “A spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.” How would I cope? A million things came to mind. None of them good. No more French Crèmes at Christmas or Jellybeans at Easter. I couldn’t bear the thought of giving up my Licorice Allsorts and Junior Mints at Halloween. No more Milk Duds at the movies. No bread, rice, pasta, corn, pizza. No baked potato with a steak. Forget lemonade, smoothies, and ice cream cones. And my beloved Chai Tea made of all that sweet goodness, dead to me. These things all convert to glucose immediately. I’m in hell. Why is this happening to me? Why can some folks eat what they want without this problem??? I’m cursed. Don’t even talk to me about food exchanges. I did not understand them when my BFF did Weight Watchers. I do not understand them now. For the time being, I am NOT going to throw everything out of my refrigerator and cupboards. I’m just going to eat more sensibly, some of what I want, just LESS of it. That along with taking the meds, my doc prescribed. The first night of meds did not go well. I woke up drenched in sweat, with my head feeling like someone drove a ten inch spike in the middle of it. My stomach hurt. I was nauseous. Room was spinning. Diarrhea was endless. All normal side effects, I was told. I made up my mind, right then and there, I was going to take LESS of it and get those numbers down with diet. I have struggled with this lifestyle change since the end of June when this was diagnosed. Besides, the obvious dietary issues, and the medication woes… I am sick and tired of poking my fingers to take blood so I can see what my GLUCOSE NUMBER is. It hurts. My poor fingertips are dried and cracked, they feel like pin cushions. I’ve tried a million different lotions. Nothing helps. I guess it really doesn’t matter because I have to wipe the fingers clean with rubbing alcohol, so they don’t cause a chemical reaction with the test strips, giving me a bad reading. So why bother to soothe my hands with anything special? Just a waste of time and money. As for the TEST monitors, don’t even get me started. This is not an exact science, people. According to the FDA, there can be a 20% leeway in their accuracy. That means the numbers could be off by as much as 40 points. That’s NOT fair when I’m being deprived of life’s simple pleasures BECAUSE of those NUMBERS. The doctor handed me my MONITORING kit. It was free. Imagine that? Pardon me for being cynical. Does she get a kickback from the company for using that particular one??? Seemed to me, the numbers were running very high everytime I tested with it. It was frustrating. So my hubby and I decided to experiment a little. We checked Consumers Report and bought a second kit at our expense. The money these companies make is in the test strips. They’re expensive. Upwards of $120 for a pack of 100. And if you’re testing 2-3 times a day, they go fast. My insurance covered most of the cost of them, and the lancets that went with the monitor the doc gave me. But they will not pay for this NEW one. So be it. I want a comparison. When I used both, we discovered the numbers between the two monitors are all over the place. Nothing consistent. Always a discrepancy, never the same. High. Low. It doesn’t matter. So how can I trust which numbers are correct? I assume next time I go to the hospital for blood-work I can test myself when they’re done? And see which one of my machines comes closest to theirs. I have also noticed the readings in one of my hands is always higher than the other when I test. I wonder why? I have NEUROPATHY in my left leg, from the hip to the knee. In my right arm, from the shoulder, to the elbow. And, in both my hands. My hands are really bad. The numbness, coldness and tingly feeling is just horrible. I’m told the damage is done and this can not be reversed. Perhaps this nerve damage is why the numbers vary so much. On the other hand, my vision is blurry, supposedly from the sugar poisoning my body, so maybe I’m not seeing clearly enough to read the numbers? I find out if I also have RETINOPATHY in the next couple weeks when I go to my ophthalmologist. I keep telling myself I can do this. Get my health back on track. DEAL with it head on. Turn things around. But the truth is DIABETES is only one of the issues plaguing me. I have the meniscus tears, the Baker’s cysts. The high blood pressure. Cholesterol. Sinuses continually draining. Abnormal thickening of my lungs.  I’m coughing up phlegm, sometimes tinged with blood every morning and night. Food gets stuck when swallowing. TOO much information, I know. There is NO end in sight to this madness. INQUIRING minds in BLOGGER wanted to know what was happening to me. So I've  given you the scoop, HOT off the presses. Suffice to say, I’m overwhelmed. But I do not intend to write about it... anymore, unless the news is GOOD. So let's change the subject, next time.
NO more DOOM and GLOOM.

“All that's sweet was made But to be lost when sweetest.”
“O! Let me not be mad, not mad, sweet heaven; keep me in temper; I would not be mad!”


18 comments:

Funny in My Mind said...

You are really having more than your fair share of problems. There isn't anything I can do or say to make you feel better and I wish to hell there were!
You are always so nice and hilarious and just a really good person and don't deserve this.
Is there a way to control the diabetes with weight loss? My friend was 80 lbs overweight and diagnosed with diabetes. She changed her diet, then started exercise and lost 100 pounds. She has no sign of diabetes now. This doesn't work for everyone.
I had diabetes when pregnant and my fingers were a mess after just 4 months.
If you need to chat you can email me anytime.

Paula said...

Oh so sorry. These golden years are really rusty. My blood platelets are only 61 but when I have the blood work done here in Hicksville they are only 35. My Hemotoligist tells me the blood sticks to the vial as they send the blood off for testing down here. Makes me wonder about my thyroid and everything else. Whats a gal supposed to do, I don't wanna move. Sorry to rant, I don't usually. Just wanted you to know I feel your pain.

Formerly known as Frau said...

Sorry that sucks....I hope once you figure everything our you will find a happy medium with food. There are lots of gluten free products out there now. Have a wonderful weekend !

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh God bless you, dear. You have one thing after another. It must be overwhelming. I couldn't eat sugar for health reasons at one time, and all I could have was meat and vegetables and nuts. It was a hard diet to follow, but it got me back on track, and I am still working on it. Now that I eat very sensibly, I don't have a desire to indulge in things. It is amazing to me how many things have sugar in it. Good luck on your diet. You are such a strong person, and I admire your perseverance. Love to you, my friend.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

jack69 said...

WOW, just want youto know we are sending ((((hugs)))). Wish we could do more. We will mention your name in prayer, that can't hurt. Hopefully diet will help a lot.

Yeah that finger punching must get OLD!
Sorry for the lastest 'news', just know we love you lady!

DD said...

Hey dear sweet lady, that is no fun, having to watch your diet that close. I hope you can get your BSugar under control with your diet and by losing a few pounds. Like the lady said in the first comment, I have an aquantance that was a very bad diabetic and even on insulin shots. She lost a lot of weight and now she is not a diabetic. I hope you can have those results.

That corgi :) said...

I am so sorry to hear this. Will definitely keep you in my prayers. I know diabetes is not something to take lightly because it can lead to so many other problems down the line with other organs in your body so do try to follow what the doctor is recommending and if in doubt, seek out another opinion.

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Oh you poor thing, I can't imagine having something like having to give up my sweets and all the other things too. But i do know that it is important to catch it and take the meds as high blood sugar can result in a whole lot of other ills too. Along with all the other problems you've got this must have been the icing on the cake for you. I'll be praying the change in diet helps do the trick for you. One of my DILs has diabetes and has since she was a teen. She battles all the time with it and even says her meds makes her hungry. She splurges all the time and shouldn't. She has an insulin pump and is always checking to see when she needs more .Take good care and I hope we hear more soon as it'll mean good news.

Chatty Crone said...

I think when you first get the diagnosis you go into denial and depression. But once you get over that in a few months -maybe you will feel better. Being a diabetic is hard. God bless you. Stress is another factor in diabetes too. sandie

Jon said...

My God, it's all so horrible that I don't even know what to say! You certainly have my sympathy and my prayers. Several people in my family have diabetes, so I know all the hell that it causes. A sensible diet and excercise are essential.
I have extremely high blood pressure, and I'm sure that heavy drinking and living in Texas are a large part of the cause.
I'm sure it's not easy to keep a positive attitude with all that's going on in your life. Take care and keep us posted.

Buttercup said...

It stinks! No other way to describe it. Please take care of yourself and hopefully you will get the numbers under better control and start to feel better. You are in my thoughts and prayers!

Ken Riches said...

Sorry to hear the diagnosis, these things get harder to control as we get older. Keep a stiff upper lip and count the progress one day at a time.

Nelle said...

I was diabetic for four years before I lost 60 pounds and it just went away. The EASIEST way is to count carbs and I will email you how to do it. You have to check labels on everything. You can have almost anything but in moderation. The first thing I did was buy a snow cone machine and sugar free syrup. That is a great treat and you can have as many as you want. 7 11 just started selling sugar free slurpees. If you eat healthy most of the time you can have some things once in awhile. I never thought candy was worth it. There are some good pamphlets the government puts out for free. The hardest part is just accepting it and learning to read labels. IF you watch the diet you will get much better. Just hang in there and tell yourself that you can do this. If there are any questions you have please email me and I will be happy to answer them. Take care and know that you have friends who care.

Lori said...

I'm really sorry to hear this. My eldest sister, who is now 64 was diagnosed with diabetes about five years ago. She can control it with diet and medicine; doesn't have to take shots. It was hard for her at first, but she is doing really well now. She can still have some treats now and then, but she's very careful about her everyday diet.

Pat MacKenzie said...

This is really turning out to be a bad year for you ism't it. My heart goes out to you. You're allowed to feel sorry for yourself and wallow a bit. Who wouldn't??! My husband has been diabetic for 15 years now. He hardly ever tests his blood. He has learned to listen to his body and knows when to make small dietary adjustments. He eats 'normally' but adjusts his portions...even eats baked potato with sour cream and butter. Type 2 Diabetes runs in my family and I know if I don't get my weight under control I'll get it too.

Take care my friend. Hopefully things will seem loss foreboding as you adjust to the changes you'd be making.

Pam said...

Well, heck! You don't need another thing to deal with. But you know what, you will feel better when you get it under control. I hear that eventually you get used to the eating changes and pricking yourself all the time also.

Hollie said...

Bless your heart!! That is alot to deal with! Know that I'm praying for you!! (((HUGS)))

Soos said...

(((Terre))) you're in my thoughts and prayers.