Friday, August 10, 2012

LIFE IS A FESTIVAL


We haven't really gone anywhere this summer that you could call a vacation. BUT... we have made a number of DAY trips here and there. A few weekends ago we caught a festival in full swing close to home. It was hot outside. Temps were over 95. My hubby doesn't do well in that kind of heat because of his COPD. But he knew how much I wanted to see all the merchants and entertainment there. So off we went. He sat out most of the time and I scooted along from booth to booth.

FOOD vendors had a BLOCK to themselves. The smells were intoxicating and the temptation was great.

 

I must confess I  LOVE  gryos. And wanted one. But we had just eaten at home, so I really wasn't hungry and neither was the hubby.


Colorful dresses lined the street.


Purses and shades were in abundance.



Earrings galore. And dream catchers too.


Interesting hats and more shoulder bags.


And a booth dedicated to pumpkin boxes.


Little dancers were center stage putting on a show.


A man juggled his balls.


An artist drew impromptu portraits.


And we saw the CUTEST baby in the whole world.
(No relation to us, I might add.)


Suddenly the sky opened up and it began to pour rain.
The festivities were over for the day.

But I managed to snag one
of these gorgeous Harvest Trees before I left.
Ain't it pretty?

18 comments:

Rose said...

Looks like a great Festival.

I do sympathize with your hubby as I also have COPD and the super hot days become unbearable to breath.

Glad you were able to get out and about to enjoy a nice festival and take some nice photos.

Chatty Crone said...

I just love those kinds of festivals - the elephant ears - gyros - and all the street stuff. You are like me and did a stay-cation. Nothing wrong with that.

Sandie

Bobbi said...

I love festivals! This looks like so much fun!! And I have become obsessed with those light, airy, one-size-fits-all dresses... I have purchased 3 of them just this past week and am wondering where in the world I will wear them? They are good for swim suit cover ups but I'm not sure what else.
I love festival food, but I'm sure it's not all that healthy... maybe it's best that you ate before going there. You're harvest tree is gorgeous! Good times!

jack69 said...

Nothing says 'BITE ME' like all the smell from the food vendors at a Festival. Love to meander thru all the booths.
cute tree!
Take care, sending love from the Catskills.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love going to festivals like that. But on a 95 degree day I probably would have opted out. Today it's been raining here and hasn't reached 70 degrees yet. We are thinking that a little shopping in Amish country might just be a good thing at this point. Rainy days at the camper are not good. But shopping will be great.
Hope your Friday is a fantastic one!

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
I loves festivals!!!! There is something so interesting and fun about them - all the quaint booths and yummy food. I would go straight to that earring booth. It looks like there is a big selection of earrings, which I love. The pumpkin boxes are so cute, and that Harvest Tree is beautiful. Now, I want to go to a festival! One of the best festivals I've been to was in San Diego. It was awesome. Have a fun weekend, dear.
~Sheri at Red Rose Alley

my diary said...

nice post thanks for sharing...looking for to visit more..i found your blog thrue other follower...blessings

Sheila Y said...

What counts is you got out and had fun...and found something to bring home to remember it by. Looked like a fun place to be. Take care, Sheila

Life Line said...

It looks like you had fun nice pictures....

Formerly known as Frau said...

looks like a fun time...love the harvest tree! Have a wonderful weekend!

Buttercup said...

I love the harvest tree. I like street fairs and enjoy just looking. The foods and the things for sale are so tempting.

Lucy said...

I would have loved to have been there. Like your tree. appropriate name.

Forty Pound Sack said...

Ooo, I love that tree. And that baby. And gyros. Cucumber dressing makes me happy. Sounds like you had a good time =)

Pam said...

You are officially the first person to decorate for fall in blogland! I would have snagged a corn dog when I was there or maybe an elephant ear. Glad you had a good time!

Ken Riches said...

We are not big fans of crowds, so normally avoid street fairs and such. Glad you got a taste and a purchase before the skies opened.

Hollie said...

I love festivals like this!!! I love the pumpkin boxes!! Never seen those before!! I like your harvest tree!! I'm ready to get my fall decorations out too!! So glad you got to go!!

Pat MacKenzie said...

That looks like a fun time. I love street fairs and farmers markets and never leave one without a few purchases. What does one do with a pumpkin box?

Soos said...

Love your colorful, lively photos! Like being there!