Wednesday, January 8, 2014

THE AFTERMATH


Spent the past couple of days... locked behind closed doors, here at home, doing what we could to stay warm. For me that included wearing one of the husband's heavy flannel shirts on top of my own. While the outside temps plummeted, the furnace did what it could to keep up. Our inside temp here could only reach 63 degrees. Funny how that feels colder in the winter than that number would feel in the spring or summer. For the most part... we watched television with the channel on the news and weather. The township finally got the snow plow to go around the street. But digging out once we head outside again is going to be tough. Our cars are not housed in a garage, so they are out exposed to the elements. And because of the storm are covered with almost a foot of snow. That means we have to clean 'em off... in addition to shoveling the driveway. With COPD my husband has to be careful. So I usually try to do the bulk of it. And right now with temps still bone chilling, it isn't going to happen anytime soon. There is a Level THREE snow emergency to the north of us in all the counties. So that means no cars are allowed on the road unless it is essential or you will be ticketed or arrested if caught out and about. That means the husband still can't go to work because he'd have to drive through those areas. So... for the time being, we're content to be snug as a couple bugs in a rug inside the house... until the situation outside improves. Temperatures are going up to 19 or 20 degrees in the next few days, so we're optimistic. How are you doing in the aftermath of the polar vortex????

13 comments:

linda eller said...

Doing the same as you...inside for 3 days now and getting a little 'cabin fever'. Hoping by tomorrow at least we can go to the grocery, which isnt far away. Stay warm and safe.

Roses around the door... said...

Sounds like you are doing all that you can to keep warm, i think of all my blogging friends in the u s a when i watch the news,stay safe and warm, best wishes x

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Our furnace had a hard time keeping up, too, and really didn't quite make it to the set temp and hovered around 66 degrees. My laptop helped keep me warm! It gets pretty warm underneath. Thankfully it began warming up a few degrees yesterday, so the house also got warmer. Okay, I've had enuf of this winter stuff now!! And, it's 71 days until spring? Seems like an eternity!

DD said...

Oh my word, Terry! But the thing is, you guys are snuggled up and are safe.
It is cold here this morning, but is forecasted to reach 42 degrees today.
stay warm.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

It has been much the same here except that my car is in the garage. I'm thinking I'll venture out and see if it will start up today. I'm hopeful. Take good care when you do go out. I shovel but do only a little at a time.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

oh wow...you really got hit hard! i have broken pipes..ugh! stay safe. it's not worth risking injury for shoveling! stay warm!

jack69 said...

WOW, I did not know about the different levels of Snow emergency, I think they do make sense. But are definitely inconvenient.

Stay warm I hope that is it for this winter. I read where even Hawaii had freezing temps....

Paula said...

I don't know which is worse the heat we have here in summer or the cold you have there. I think I would really get cabin fever. Stay warm and take care.

betty said...

Wow, that is a lot of snow!! I would imagine it would be hard for the furnace to keep up with the extreme cold temps. Wise to continue to stay inside and heed the warnings of the county on when the roads will be safe to travel on. Any young neighbor kids willing to shovel for you for a few bucks?

betty

Lynda said...

Bless your hearts! We are above freezing today and Praise God, we have had clear roads with only a dusting of snow. People with lung diseases definitely do NOT need to be out in the frigid cold air. It is hard enough on healthy people. One thing we discovered in the frigid weather is the places where our house needs more insulation!

Lynda said...

Bless your hearts! We are above freezing today and Praise God, we have had clear roads with only a dusting of snow. People with lung diseases definitely do NOT need to be out in the frigid cold air. It is hard enough on healthy people. One thing we discovered in the frigid weather is the places where our house needs more insulation!

Jon said...

Sometimes it's cozy and nice to just stay at home and wait out the winter storm - - as long as you have heat and food!

I can relate to having your vehicles out in the elements. Texas is the only place I ever lived where I don't have a garage, and my vehicles are actually being destroyed from the rotten weather.

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre,
Oh my gosh, that's so cold!!!! Although I bet you love it that your husband can stay home with you for awhile.

Even though your snow is causing some hardship right now, I have to say that I love this picture. I don't see the snow that often, and it's so beautiful to me. Try to stay warm, my friend. You mean a lot to us.

Love,
~Sheri