Monday, August 4, 2014

OH MY ACHING BACK


You know you have a problem when you reach into the washing machine, to pick up clothes, and you feel a pop in your shoulder, followed by excruciating pain. I muffled a scream. Then whatever it was popped back. It was on the eve of a trip out of town and I really didn't think I should go. There is nothing worse than being holed up in a hotel room being physically spent. But I was afraid of being alone with this kind of pain. So... if I had to go to the hospital at least my hubby would be with me, if I went with him, out of town. So... off we went on our trip. But believe me, when I tell you... I felt every bump in the road. For three solid hours. It was awful. I then spent four days in a hotel room nursing this injury. However, at some point I realized my shoulder and upper back were getting  progressively worse because of the heating pad I was using. What I  needed was an ice pack . I also made up a wall of pillows that would cradle my back. And I literally just stayed in bed all day, lying there.  My hubby brought meals to me at lunch but I had to force myself to leave the room for dinner.  Then it was back to bed. Doing this finally took the edge off and I was able to function once again, as we headed homeward bound. All the aches and pains of getting older can be quite frustrating, can't they? Especially when the least little thing sets them off. Have you ever had upper back pain? How did you cope?

15 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Backs are such touchy things. I've had trouble with mine since I was young and have learned to be gentle with mine. Like you the best thing I can do is lie low and rest, eventually we're up and at em again. Hope you are feeling much better.

Cindi said...

Rest seems to be the correct thing to do. Wishing it gets better for you quickly....

betty said...

That does sound painful! I think you were wise to rest it as much as you did! I don't have back problems but my knees are showing my age. Hope all feels well soon!

betty

Lucy said...

I think most of us have proven that it really is not easy growing older. We want to live and grow older but sometimes it is painful. Many times it is little things that send me off the rails.

jack69 said...

I THINK I just suffer thru it. Trying both teh heat and cold, still do not know which is best....

Hope you are MORE BETTER now, or at least making improvements... I don't like any unfamiliar pops and cracks!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I have had many back problems over the years and a chiropractor has helped tremendously. He says ice for 20 minutes a few times a day. I also do stretching exercises...when I think of them, lately I have been a slacker in that area. I'm sorry you had to suffer with a back ailment especially on a trip! Hope you're feeling better now.

Roses around the door... said...

yes i have times when i suffer back pain, i also do not like to be alone when this happens, lots of rest and listen to the body.Hope you feel better very soon x

Jon said...

There's nothing worse than being away from home when you're in physical distress. I hope you're feeling better. I get a lot of back pain, but it's mostly my lower back.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh Taryterre, I'm so sorry you're going through this right now. Yes, I hurt my back many years ago. I was lifting a piece of heavy furniture (I was much younger than I am now), and pulled a muscle. I had never felt anything like that before. The muscle spasms were so bad, and this lasted for a long time. To this day, whenever I strain my back, I still feel it in the area where I hurt my back many years ago.

Take care of your back, my friend. That must have been awful for you to have to stay in bed the whole time on your trip.

love,
~Sheri

Mevely317 said...

Yikes ... what an awful experience. And to have to sit in an unfamiliar hotel room, to boot. Your was indeed a touch choice!
This took me right back to a couple years ago when I went to reach for the hairbrush and felt this pain in my upper back like nothing I'd ever experienced before. Turned out to be frozen shoulder syndrome, but FINALLY found relief with cortisone (sp?) shots.

Mevely317 said...

Uh-oh ... my fingers got ahead of my brain. Meant to say, "tough" choice.

Paula said...

Had Acupuncture once and it really helped me. It was for siatic (sp) pain.

Pam Kessler said...

I guess you shouldn't have to wash clothes anymore then, right :) It sounds painful though. Take it easy. We don't bounce back like we used to.

Stephanie Faris said...

My husband has back problems. He's found a TENS device very helpful...but he still has to stay in bed and use ice and the TENS device for several days when he has a flare-up.

Hannah Holland said...

Oh, I know the feeling, Tary! That nasty pain when you turn your back or make any sudden moves. Sometimes, you'd even hear a cracking sound afterwards. Anyway, I think you might need a good massage to relax and soothe your muscles. Better yet, try out some therapies for back pains. All the best!

Hannah Holland @ Berkeley Community Acupuncture