Thursday, August 7, 2014

FILL THE BUS, STUFF IT WITH SCHOOL SUPPLIES


When my daughters were growing up... I had a closet designated for new school supplies. Every year I'd go shopping, sometime in the summer and I'd fill it up. Book-bags, folders, notebooks, paper, scissors, crayons, markers, binders, and the like... were all inside this special place, in my house. My little girls were thrilled with the chance to shop at home for what they needed... any time, night or day. When they grew up, and left home, I still kept a few things around the house, like notebooks. But... otherwise, that closet is now being used for something else. However, my love of new school supplies hasn't waned, so I've found a healthy way to indulge this interest.  For the past three or four years I have donated bagfuls of supplies to the Stuff the Bus/Fill up the Bus campaign either with United Way or Walmart. It gives you a good feeling to know these less fortunate children will have what they need to start the school year. It puts them on a level playing field with their peers. And makes learning more fun. If there is a program in your community to buy school supplies for kids, please join in. Every little bit helps. So go ahead, make somebody's day and put a smile on a child's face... for this up and coming school year. You'll be glad you did. And so will they.




10 comments:

betty said...

I like your system that you did with school supplies. We have in various places we have lived helped supply school supplies for those that need it; such a worthy endeavor!

betty

jaz@octoberfarm said...

what a great idea!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

There are many places to donate in our community too. I still have a few leftovers on the shelf here from back to school days and they've come in handy when the grandchildren visit. It's always a good idea to share with others when you can. Usually I donate at our church. They do school supplies, canned goods and blankets and coats when winter comes too.

jack69 said...

Such a great idea. SWEET!

Barb said...

It gets more and more expensive for parents to send children off to school. I like to think that because of people like you, boys and girls will start their school year off on the right foot.

Red Rose Alley said...

What a wonderful thing to do, Taryterre. I would loved to have had a closet filled with school supplies when the kids were little. I was going through a few things the other day, and came across some Crayola colored markers and said to myself, "school will be starting soon." I bet your kids will remember all the school goodies that their mom had on hand when they were growing up.

love,
~Sheri

Mevely317 said...

I'm not aware of a 'stuff the bus' campaign out here -- but our workplace recently hosted a 'wishes' school supplies drive.
It's fun -- and besides, I LOVE the aroma of new notebooks and pencils.

Back Porch Writer said...

Oh that is so sweet of you to do. Several kids in my daughter's class received back backs with supplies given for them. So kind. HOpe you all are having a great weekend.

Hollie said...

Neat idea and very sweet at that!!

my cozy ❤ little space said...

i found your blog thrue other bloggers..i will be visitng more...nice blog