Monday, August 11, 2014

THE HUNDRED FOOT JOURNEY


Years ago, I used to go to the movies all the time. I also reviewed them for a Women's Center newsletter. But in all honesty... I haven't been to a movie in the past two years. There has been nothing I have deemed worthwhile seeing. That is until this weekend. A movie opened that I adore. To understand why, you have to know, a while back... I started reading a book that captured my imagination called THE HUNDRED FOOT JOURNEY by RICHARD C. MORAIS. It was made into this movie by Steven Spielberg and Oprah Winfrey starring actress Helen Mirren. It is about a family from India opening a restaurant in the mountains of France, after tragedy strikes them. They are not dissuaded by the fact that across the street, a mere hundred feet opposite their restaurant, stands a renowned French eatery. BUT after a few run-ins with it's proprietress, Madame Mallory, the family realize they may be in over their heads, with their latest venture. It's a story that shows how cultures clash, and highlights a young cook's journey to becoming a celebrated chef. It was delightful, charming and a must see for Foodies. If you haven't been to the movies in a while, this one is worth the price of admission.

14 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I haven't been to the movies in years either. Glad you found one that you liked.

Laura said...

My husband and I took our two teenaged daughters to see this yesterday. It is SO difficult to find a movie we can all see together. The last one we went to see was "Belle", which was also very, very good. "The Hundred Foot Journey" was directed by the same director who directed "Chocolat" (LOVE). Oh my goodness, we all adored this movie. It was a feast for the senses and imagination. It is truly a must see!!!!

betty said...

I like Helen Mirren, so I'll definitely watch for this when it comes out in Red Box. Haven't been in a theater for a few years but enjoy renting movies from Red Box; easy to pause the movie if I have to take a potty break :)

Thanks for the review; sounds like a great movie!

betty

jack69 said...

I love it when a plot catches my fancy. Like you, it hasn't happened much in the past few years. (SMILE)
From the Poconos, Sherry & Jack

Paula said...

I haven't been to a movie but once in twenty years and that was at the insistence of my son-in-law who was visiting. I've been thinking about going, maybe you convinced me.

Jon said...

I agree that there aren't many movies worth watching nowadays. It's encouraging to know that you found a good one. I'll definitely look into it.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i really want to see this movie. if it is helen mirrin i am there!

Sheila Y said...

I like Helen Mirren also and have wanted to see this movie since I saw it advertised. Maybe I'll read the book too. Take care, Sheila

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I like movies like this, Taryterre. It sounds like a good one. I haven't been to the movies in awhile either. I know what you mean about not coming across anything that interests you. I was feeling the same way until I saw "Heaven is for Real" and it touched my heart.

Have a good week, my friend.

~Sheri

Mevely317 said...

Like you, we hardly EVER venture out to the movies. Still, this sounds like a winner ... thanks for the recommendation!

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I can't remember what I last saw at the movies...it's been that long. We occasionally watch a movie that I've bought or rented at home. Your recommendation sounds good. Really good movies are getting harder to find!

Lucy said...

I have not been to a movie for years. Sometimes I think we should then Ron and Kathy stop by after a movie and mention the prices they paid and I know they are not in my budget. The way you describe this one I know ir had to be good. My computer is sort of fixed so hope to keep up for a while.

Red Rose Alley said...

I hope your daughter has a smooth and safe trip driving, Taryterre. I'll say a prayer for her right now. My brother-in-laws all worked in Alaska on the Bering Sea crab fishing at one time. It was such an experience. I've always wanted to visit Alaska.

Have a sweet day.

~Sheri

Hollie said...

I can't remember the last time I went to the movies. I have a hard time sitting still long enough to watch one. The hubs gets aggravated with me watching one a home because of it. lol