Monday, October 6, 2014

WHERE'S SPIDERMAN WHEN YOU NEED HIM?


I have no private office, for yours truly, here in my house. My computer desk is right smack dab in the middle of the living room. I share the space with anyone who wanders in. This is where I sit surfing the web 24/7. In the wee hours of the morning strange things can happen. Full moon or not. And I'm here to tell you something did. It was so frightening it scared the hell out of me. I was typing away at my key board when I happened to look at my elbow, resting on the desk.  I screamed when I saw what I saw. I jumped at least six feet in the air, too. What I saw was creepy, crawly. It was very menacing, looking up at me with all eight eyes, two of them bulging. You guessed it. A spider. But not just any old itsy bitsy spider. NO sir. Sitting right there on my shirt sleeve was an enormous, (at least 3 or 4 inches across) WOLF SPIDER. When I tried to shake it off, it clung to the fabric, refusing to budge. The decibel level of my screams increased, though there was nobody home to rush to my rescue. (WHERE IS SPIDERMAN WHEN YOU NEED HIM?) So, suffice it to say, my FEAR drove me to do the only thing I could think of at the time. UNDRESS. I literally ripped that shirt off my body in two seconds, flat, throwing it to the floor. Would you believe, that darn spider was still attached to it, cradling the sleeve? I didn't want to squash it and get spider guts all over the place... because  I didn't know if that would wash out of my clothing? (I can't believe I was thinking rationally at this point?) But, foremost in my mind... was the fact... I didn't want that ominous creature to scurry away to parts unknown, so I could encounter it again, in say... my bare feet. So I tried to make a beeline to the front door, holding the shirt it was on, at an arm's length.  Unfortunately, the spider, in question, made a daring escape before I could get it outside. I should have probably used a tupperware container to capture it in. But I didn't. So now... my dear blog buddies... that scary, ugly WOLF spider is in hiding. It's lurking somewhere in my house, just waiting to pounce and surprise me again. I envision it biting me in the neck, crawling up my leg, nesting in my ponytail.  My nerves are shot worrying about where and when it might appear again. Have you ever been frightened half out of your wits by something like this? What's your story?


15 comments:

betty said...

It does sound frightening! We have the spiders here but so far they haven't attached themelves to us; its ptobably a good thing because I'm not sure what I would do if they did.

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Spiders are creepy especially the wolf spider. They move fast and are hard to find. I had one go across my kitchen counter the other day and it disappeared before I could capture it. A friend of mine says her sister cleans with vinegar to keep them away. I'm thinking about putting some in a squirt bottle and hitting all the cracks and crevices around here with it. This is spider season and I don't like them at all. Hope yours decided to leave the premises.

Sandy aka Doris the Great said...

Do spiders have more than 2 eyes? Yuck! If I'd been there, I would have squished it for you and washed that sucker right out of your shirt. Hope you (and I mean your husband when I say "you") catch him soon.

Pat MacKenzie said...

What a horrible experience. I've never seen a spider bigger than about an inch across and hope I never do. Maybe you scared him away with your screaming...do spiders have ears?

jack69 said...

If you advertise that, at least you will have a more private office! (smile)
What a tale, and I bet you did jump 5 feet!

Paula said...

Well living in Texas we have a lot of spiders so I've learned to be somewhat tolerant of them unless it is Black Widow or Brown Recluse then I'm out to kill.

Mevely317 said...

Yikes ... I'd have probably suffered a heart attack on the spot!
My hubby's (grown) kids still talk about when, as children, they found a wolf spider and decided to make a pet out of it. Aliens, I tell you ... they're aliens!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh my gosh, Taryterre, that would have freaked me out! And to think that it's still around. It looks huge, I'm wondering if the picture makes it looks bigger than it is. I have a terrible fear of mice, and one time husband decided to play a joke on me and put one of those fake rats on the washing machine (which was in the garage at the time), and when I went out to wash clothes it was right there staring at me, and I ran in the house yelling. After that, he realized how scared I really was of mice, and never did anything like that again.

I hope you find that spider, Taryterre. Give us an update, would you?

love,
~Sheri

Stephanie Faris said...

Ack! I loved this story because I could totally relate to it. I would have done the same thing. Would you believe one day I was sitting here typing when, out of the corner of my eye, I saw a baby lizard scurry across the room? I had the same thought you did--if that thing went into hiding I'd never be able to sleep again! So I blocked it with the vacuum cleaner that was sitting nearby and somehow was able to scoot it out of the house without touching it. My husband was out of town at the time or I would have screamed for him, for sure!

Sheila Y said...

I'm not too scared of spiders, but I've never ran into a wolf spider. Now my daughter Jarin on the other hand, would have probably packed and headed to a hotel. Haha. Take care, Sheila

TARYTERRE said...

PS) Just so you all know the wolf spider photos seen in my blog post were borrowed from a spider information page, that's free to the public. They were not actual pics of the spider running rampant in my house which is much bigger than ones pictured.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Yuck!! I hate spiders. Hope you find him before he finds you!

Ellen in Oregon said...

A spider that big would have totally freaked me out too. At least you didn't run out the door without your shirt on & got all your neighbors talking. This is the time of year when lots of spider & insects are trying to find warm places in our homes to spend the winter. Last month I went to get into bed & made the mistake of not turning the light on. As I took my last step, I walked into a large spider web that covered my face. It had not been there when I got up that morning. It stretched from the window to the headboard & up to the ceiling light. As I frantically waved one hand to get the web off my face, while the other hand searched for the lamp. Suddenly I felt something crawling on my face & it was not the web. I let out a shriek as I did a crazy dance as I tried to get the spider off my face. Finally, I got the light on just in time to see the spider pulling itself up to the ceiling. It was probably more frightened than I was. I'm sure it was cursing me for ruining it's web. It also must have been thinking I was the biggest thing it had ever trapped in it's web. I did not sleep well knowing it was dangling over my bed. The next week, I went to get into bed (with the lights on), I pulled back the blankets and there was a big ol' stink bug hiding on my clean sheets. Stink bugs are everywhere this time of year as they try to get into houses & hide for the fall & winter. They go into a coma & hibernate until spring. I am all for live & let live, but I am getting a bit paranoid about going to bed after these surprise encounters.My spider was tiny compared to your monster. I don't think wolf spiders live out west - at least I hope not.

Lori said...

I don't usually freak out about a spider, although getting surprised by one that large on my arm might do it. Hope you find it before it finds you!

Susan said...

NOOOOOOOO, I HATE spiders. Yours was a scary, scary, SCARY one. Oh Lord have MERCY, I hope you find the creeper before he shows up on another sleeve.

I encountered LOTS of spiders when we lived in Arizona, including a tarantula on the patio door and a small dust mop dude on the shower floor.

Not as many here in New England but a few scary ones showed up in my window box the other week. They got Raided fast.

Good luck! Susan