Monday, December 15, 2014

FROSTY THE SNOWMAN'S FRIEND


This is the story of a snowman. I saw it at a local craft show. He was roly poly, wearing a blue hat and plaid scarf. He carried a birdhouse and had a big button nose. He reminded me of Frosty, and I was instantly smitten. Made up my mind, there and then... he was coming home with me. I was so excited I could not wait to put him out on my front porch for the Christmas holiday. But... as I was driving home, my enthusiasm waned. I was not the only one with that idea. There, sitting on my next door neighbor’s  porch, was the same exact snowman I had bought. I was devastated. We couldn’t have twin snowmen, we just couldn’t. I’d never hear the end of it. They’d make a big deal, that they got their snowman first, and then they'd say, I was a copy cat. Neighborhood politics can be very  tricky. In my heart, I knew in order to display mine I’d have to alter his appearance. So... I rummaged through my garage and found what I needed to make him a new man, so to speak. First, I removed the birdhouse. This was no easy task, since it was nailed in. But I did it. I then replaced it with a wooden, red and white candy-cane. After that, all I needed to do... was to add a few more color changes. Putting a red scarf around his neck... and a red hat on top of his head... my snowman was now, no carbon copy.  He was good to go. He was uniquely himself, to my hearts delight. And he’s been gracing my front porch on and off, for the past decade. And, my neighbor’s are none the wiser.

13 comments:

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love your snowman. You did a great job of his makeover ! I have one I put on the porch every year too but so far I've not found him. Maybe next year !

betty said...

He is cute! Very clever to make him look a bit different too than the neighbors' one! You are right, neighborhood politics can be interesting ones; that's why sometimes I'm glad we tend to stay to ourselves :)

betty

Paula said...

I love this story and the way you solved the twin snowman problem.

Red Rose Alley said...

Wonderful, Taryterre. You have made your snowman into something that is unique and says "I live here." I really like it....the candy cane, the red scarf, all of it. He is a welcoming addition to your home. I just have lights up, and wanted a little something extra for my front porch, but it's raining cats and dogs and will wait til later when it stops. You did a great job on your snowman.

love,
~Sheri

jaz@octoberfarm said...

what a cute guy!

Cindi said...

Such a cute snowie!!! I luv the story thx for sharing

Mevely317 said...

Way to think outside the box! Your 'Mr. Snow' almost looks full of mischief ... love it!

jack69 said...

And a very cool idea(s) you had. The man of snow looks great standing there all alert.
"YOu done good!" SWEET.

Pam Kessler said...

He looks cute! You did well disguising him. You gotta keep the neighbors happy :)

Carol Z said...

He became uniquely yours and he looks cute in his bright attire.

Jon said...

Your renovated snowman is adorable, and very special because he was created with your unique touch.

Jerry E Beuterbaugh said...

"Taryterre" has been included in our A Sunday Drive for this week. Be assured that we hope this helps to point even more new visitors in your direction.

http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/12/a-sunday-drive_21.html

Lori said...

And why in the world would a snowman be holding a birdhouse anyway? lol Yours is probably much better!