Tuesday, December 2, 2014

THAT'S A LOT OF GARBAGE


We have lived here for 28 years. Since the day we moved in garbage pickup has been on a Monday, the beginning of the week. This was always convenient and we were happy with the arrangement. But things have changed. A couple weeks ago, we got a letter in the mail, telling us the pickup for trash was now going to be on Wednesdays… starting on the day before Thanksgiving. Needless to say, this ruffled a few feathers in the neighborhood because that meant we would have accumulated ten days worth of garbage, before their arrival. And because it was a holiday week,  trash being picked up in a punctual manner  was a necessity. Taking all this into account, I told my husband, they would not show. He insisted they would, and said the garbage company insisted they would be here too. I held my breath and guess who was right? Me. I called their office from 1-4 pm on Wednesday afternoon to ask where they were? All I got was a busy signal.  And then... promptly at 4:01pm a nice prerecorded message came on, telling me they had all gone home for the day. And they wished me a Happy Holiday. I left a message thanking  them for the unsightly pile of trash outside in my driveway. Needless to say, I never heard back. But the trash finally did get picked almost 2 weeks late. Have you ever had something like this happen, to ruin a celebration?   

12 comments:

Chatty Crone said...

I have had it happen lots of times - we are at their mercy - but don't let it get to you!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We never know just how much we appreciate something until we don't have it for sure. Hopefully now there will be no repeats of that trashy situation.

alphawoman said...

I feel your pain. While living in MS there was no recycling. Once or twice I missed garbage p/u and it was disastrous! My hubs would have to take a load to his dumpster at his office! How two people can fill one of those large garbage cans is a mystery.

betty said...

That would be a disaster! Could be smelly too! Hasn't happened to me like that but did live in a city where the trash people went on strike for a few weeks. Thankfully the trash company set up big bins where people could take their trash, otherwise that would have been a mess too! I was never so happy when they settled the strike and trash pick up resumed as normal.

betty

jack69 said...

Strange how we get our lives in a pattern and 'tis hard to function when that is interrupted. But all will be well and you will adjust to late pickups, missed pickups BUT YOU SHOULD GET LOTS OF APOLOGIES... I know we used to. It happens at home when another company gets the contract, and it is always blamed on the 'TRANSITION'.
I miss the country where we had little trash and burned what little we had, then we could scatter the ashes for fertilizer. (I think) Patience!!!!! NOW!!! (smile)

jack69 said...

It's really not fair, you Girls just have to be right all the time!!! (smile)

Cheryl @ TFD said...

We've had a few problems, but the biggest problem was a neighbor's dog that got lose and tore into our trash bags leaving stuff littering the yard. I was more than a little peeved about that! I wish we still had a city dumping spot where we could take our own garbage whenever we wanted to, but those days are over.

Paula said...

We have pretty good luck with our trash company. They just brought us a big one like your picture for recycle to be picked up every other week. It puzzles me since no one but us put the small bins out in our neighborhood so do they think more will recycle with a large can ?

Carol Z said...

Last Christmas day the pipes in my bathroom backed up. Thankfully the building super was home and able to do with the mess and plumbing disaster. I stayed with friends Christmas night and was so grateful both for my super and my fixed plumbing.

Mevely317 said...

Oh, yuck Taryterre!
.....And what can you do?

Knock wood, we've not had any holiday mishaps. (I know better than to say 'never.')

BTW, I remember reading a funny news story years ago when Chicago(?) trash collectors went on strike during the holiday season and the garbage began piling up and stinking. One enterprising soul decided to box and wrap his package in holiday paper. He put everything in the back seat of his car, drove to the nearest mall and walked away leaving the car unlocked. Sure enough, a few hours later he returned to find his "Christmas packages" all missing! Makes me laugh every time I think about it!

Red Rose Alley said...

One time we forgot to put the trash out, and sure enough it was filled to the brim the next trash day. Monday was a good day to pick up. I bet you were bummed when they changed it to Wednesdays. Those telephone recordings really bother me, especially if you have to press a number seven times to get to your call! Is it just me, but don't you miss the time when someone just answered the phone and greeted you with a hello?

love,
~Sheri

Hollie said...

That was aggravating I know!!! Especially the timing! UGH!!