Monday, December 8, 2014

LIGHTS UP AT CHRISTMAS, BEWARE


This is the time of the year, when people put up their Christmas decorations… bathing their houses, and trees, in pretty bright lights. Because the plug in lights are UL rated we make the assumption that all lights are safe. That is not the case. I want to tell you a little story about something that recently happened to me. I have alot of little vignettes throughout my house where I put lights. Because these areas are small, I tend to use battery powered lights. This year I bought a few boxes of them at Menards. I was getting ready to put them out and about... But first, I wanted to test them to see if they worked. It’s a good thing I did, otherwise we could have had a BIG problem on our hands. What happened was this. I put the double AA batteries in the control box and flipped the switch on. Normally the lights would light and you’d be all set for Christmas. In this case, I did that… and smoke immediately filled the room, as the lights started to spark. The smell was horrible. I had to yank the batteries out of the control box, asap, to avoid a fire.  It was a scary moment, sitting at my kitchen table. Can you imagine if I had not tested them first? If I had just put them in place and randomly turned them on, whenever, who knows what damage these light sets would have done. Thank heavens, I avoided a potential catastrophe. I tell you this, not to put a damper on your Christmas decorating, but to keep you diligent this holiday season. Accidents happen and you need to prepare to help prevent them. Needless to say, my hubby took the lights back to Menards and told them they were not safe. Hopefully they took them off their shelves to avoid future problems. Meanwhile, we got some new ones at Walmart that work fine.



13 comments:

betty said...

Thanks for the warning! Glad you guys were okay with it and no major damage!

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

You were very wise to test them out first. I've been thinking about getting some battery powered lights to replace the old candle lights I use in the windows. I'll make sure I check them out now thanks to your experience. Glad you took the time to let us know about it.

Sheila Y said...

A good lesson to pass along. Glad it caused no damage for you. Have a great week! Sheila

jack69 said...

Timely warning, good advice, THANKS!

jaz@octoberfarm said...

wow...close call! glad you are safe.

jaz@octoberfarm said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Red Rose Alley said...

Oh no, glad to hear you're safe, Taryterre. Yes, lights are so beautiful at Christmas time, but I will be cautious when putting any up. Thanks for the reminder. We just put the tree lights up last night, and they turned on nicely.

Have a good week.

love,
~Sheri

Paula said...

Good advice, glad you avoided a fire. I'm sure the smell of smoke was bad enough.

Mevely317 said...

Yikes!!! Thank God you elected to test them first. The alternative is too awful to think about.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Thanks for the warning! I guess I'd never thought about batteries causing a fire. I'll be sure to check from now on! Glad you didn't have any damage.

Pam Kessler said...

Gosh, that would have been a nasty surprise! I have a set like that that I got at Big Lots. So far no problems, but I'll keep an eye on them.

Cindi said...

very good advice. Thanks for sharing. Wishing you the best

Chatty Crone said...

Gosh you were lucky you checked them I don't think I would have checked them.