Monday, May 2, 2016

KENTUCKY DERBY RECIPES & CHAPEAUS


I love a nice chapeau, whether on a man or woman. They have character and style provided they aren’t accompanying a team sport like baseball or football. Every year I go in search of the perfect one to wear on Derby Day. I’m a bit of a killjoy though. I do not like the fancy ornate hats that Johnny Weir and Tara Lipinski wear.  Or the ones all those charming Kentucky ladies do. I love looking at the one of a kind creations, it’s true. But on someone else, not me.  Nothing tops this pretty, little old head of mine, unless it’s somewhat sedate and understated. I’m BIG into color, just not crazy about flowers. I had enough of them to last a lifetime in my Easter Bonnets growing up. So every year finding the perfect chapeau becomes a bit of a chore. Like last minute Christmas shoppers, I usually wait until the clock ticks down to score one,  overpriced and relatively mundane. This year I took a step back in time and went looking for something vintage. And I found it right out of the gate. It’s picture perfect.  No fuss and affordable. Who could ask for anything more? Though I settled on this beauty,  I could not resist looking at other options after the purchase. You can tell,  the choices were limited where I live, budgetary concerns aside. Ultimately my favorite head topper was the right decision.  I have the perfect dress to go with the hat. So now all I have to do is gussy up the rest of me. I’ll make some Kentucky Hot Browns, sip an OAKS LILY (instead of a Mint Julip) and head off to the races. CUPID may not be there but you can BET Bob Baffert will.
Basic Black Hat
Yellow Floral Hat
Pink Ribbon Hat
Red Bow Hat
Beige Floral Hat
CHIC HAT
Animal Print Hat
AND THE WINNER IS THIS ONE
"PEACH PERFECTION"
Do you love it or hate it? 


MAY THE BEST HORSE WIN
AT CHURCHILL DOWNS

RECIPE
Kentucky Hot Browns
(click on photo to enlarge)

Oaks Lily
The Grey Goose Oaks Lily is the official drink of the Kentucky Oaks.
·                                 2 ounces vodka
·                                 2 ounces sweet and sour mix (or lemonade)
·                                 6 ounces cranberry juice
·                                 triple sec
·                                 blackberries
combine all ingredients in a shaker along with ice. Shake, strain and add extra ice, then garnish with the blackberries.


13 comments:

Jon said...

I love hats (on women and men) and choosing the right one is always a difficult decision. I agree with you - I'm not fond of flowers. They are far too common and overdone. I think you made a good choice. I like the color and style.

I've never heard of Kentucky Hot Browns, but they sound delicious - with the turkey, cheese, tomatoes & bacon!
And I've never heard of Oaks Lily (but I'm ready to drink one).

TARYTERRE said...

Let's raise our glasses. "A toast to those things perched on our heads, called HATS."

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I love your hat choice ! What fun! I had a friend that was born and raised in Kentucky and she introduced me to Hot Browns. Very good! But I've never had an Oaks Lily or even heard of it before. It sounds wonderful too!

jack69 said...

I love hats, always wear a Greek Sailors Hat. Dad was a hat man and I will always remember Mama's hats.
Good entry, like your 'shots'.

betty said...

You made a great choice with the hat! I like the drink recipe too! Might have to make that up and enjoy sipping it while watching the Kentucky Derby this weekend!

betty

TARYTERRE said...

Hot Browns are good MA. Glad to hear you have tried them. JACK I have never seen a Greek Sailors hat. I'll have to look that up. Probably saw a pic of you in one on your blog but did not realize it. BETTY make up a pitcher of those OAKS LILY's and the weekend's chores will slip away so you can enjoy the race.

Mevely317 said...

Wow. Did you really score Derby tickets? That's one of my dreams!
I've always maintained, less is more. So yes, your peach chapeau looks classic/great. (Plus, that's one of my 2 favorite colors!)

PS - I wonder if I might substitute gin in the Oak Lily? Vodka's NOT my friend ... LOL.

TARYTERRE said...

Never made a substitution. But experimentation might be fun. Try it. You and my husband can share the gin. I'll stick with the vodka.

Red Rose Alley said...

Ooooo, I love it! And one of my favorite colors for this time of year. It's simple and cute. And I love that red bow hat too. I haven't heard the phrase "gussy up" in a long time. I think that's what I love about your stories, Taryterre.....you bring up things that I've forgotten about, and let them be known once again. :)

Enjoy Derby Day! Glad to hear you have a birthday in May as well.

love, ~Sheri

TARYTERRE said...

You are so sweet. Being a Gemini has it's advantages. Are you A Taurus or a Twin, Sheri?

Sheila Y said...

Sounds like fun! Enjoy!
Sheila

shortybear said...

nice post

baili said...

you look awesome in all those hats ,thanks for lovely sharing