Monday, May 23, 2016

PRETZELS rolling in the DOUGH


First time I ever went to a mall was back in the 60’s. I hitched a ride with two of my friends who were seasoned shopping pros, and their mom. I had never seen such  a thing. I was fascinated by all the stores being under one roof. With limited funds and so much to do, I was a tad bit overwhelmed.  But… I forged ahead making the best of this shopping experience. It was then I discovered Hot Sam Pretzels. They had a concession and my friends stopped there to buy some SOFT pretzels. Being a Synder’s pretzel girl, born and bred… hard pretzels were all I knew. But I was willing to experiment. And the price was right, cheap. This SOFT pretzel was bigger than a hand and smothered in salt. It looked yummy, indeed. But before I could leave the kiosk,  with this... new to me... bread creation, my friends insisted I slather it with mustard. I thought they were crazy as hell. “WHY,” was the question I asked. They said, “BECAUSE.”  “Because why, I wondered?  Turns out a soft pretzel TASTES scrumptious that way.  Really, truly… it does. Technically speaking... the reason was this... according to the internet... "spreading mustard on pretzels is how people from Philly, PA  eat them. This trend began in the 1920's with pretzels that were sold from hotdog stands or carts. The mustard covered up the blisters that salt forms on the surface of the dough from humidity and camouflaged the flaw." WHO KNEW? Who cares? A soft pretzel is the perfect snack food. Soft and chewy. It fills you up. It’s affordable. Can be eaten anytime, night or day. I was hooked.  I became a FAN, like the rest of the world.  They’re DELICIOUS. And I spent a considerable amount of my youth delighting in them. At some point though, I outgrew the snack.  Time marched on and I forgot about this culinary treat. Flash forward to today. It has been years since I’ve been to a mall. Once my kids left the nest, I had no reason to grace it’s door. But that changed…. when my hubby and I…. went in search of a protective cover for his cell phone.  It’s an older model. So after exhausting all other options, we headed to the mall where all the kids hang out. We figured there was bound to be a cellphone cover there.  And we were right, there was. Found a GREAT deal and LAID our money down. (another story for another time) As we were heading towards the mall exit, pleased with our purchase…. I noticed an Auntie Anne’s Pretzel kiosk. A smile spread across my face... from cheek to cheek.  Not a Hot Sam’s... but a PRETZEL joint of these MODERN times. We joined the long line and ordered a couple SOFT pretzels. One for mustard. And one with sweet almonds for dessert. My hubby and I grabbed a table and sat down watching mall traffic. I became awash in memories. A LOT has changed at the mall… but the taste of a SOFT pretzel remains delectable and is MONEY (dough) in the BANK  for those that sell them.

(If only my old teeth could chew like they once did)

PS) Please ignore the discoloration in text and background above. Can not get blogger to cooperate.

Also be sure to check out my Thrifting Threads and Things column by clicking on the picture in the sidebar if you missed it earlier in the week.

11 comments:

Jon said...

Oh, wow - I'm salivating! I'm a pretzel addict. I love all kinds, hard or soft. But there's something incredibly special about the big soft ones, with mustard of course! I've never heard of pretzels with sweet almonds - it sounds intriguing.

Thanks for sharing memories of malls and pretzels.
How about an Orange Julius (are they still around??)

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I enjoy soft pretzels too. Like you I don't get to the Mall often either. I got one with the sweet almonds last time I was there. Delicious!

jack69 said...

I probably did not eat a pretzel hard or soft until I was in my 20's.
Friends from PA talked about them and we did buy one at a turnpike rest area. YEP I loved the soft dudes with mustard and have some 'sticks' about every night.
Good entry!!!

Susan said...

Looks great, Taryterre! Good for you! Thanks for all your visits, too. Here's to a super new week of life! Susan

Sheila Y said...

I used to love getting an Auntie Annes pretzel at the outlet mall when we lived in Washington state. I dipped mine in the cheese sauce. Now my daughter and I get a soft pretzel when we go through the Festival of Lights here near Christmas. I've never tried them with mustard but I will. Take care, Sheila

Cheryl @ TFD said...

Now I'm hungry for a soft pretzel! Glad you found one at the mall to enjoy and bring back memories. Have a nice week!

Mevely317 said...

I don't recall ever having seen a soft pretzel before moving to Florida! The telling of your mall memories is sweet.

Red Rose Alley said...

That pretzel sure does look good. I have them once in a great while, and Yes, they are delicious. I'm glad that you got a chance to relive some of your mall memories and sat down with husband and had a soft pretzel with mustard. I've never tried it with mustard, I just love them warm and plain. Great story, Taryterre.

~Sheri

Paula said...

I've never cared for pretzels and never tasted a soft one. Maybe I'm too country hick, too Texan, too something. You sure make them sound good.

Jody and Stan said...

I love pretzels!! Love the photos! New Follower!
Hugs ♥ Jody

Danielle L Zecher said...

I love soft pretzels! I had a part time job in the mall evenings after my day job when I first moved out, and I never had time for a real dinner in between jobs. I loved getting a big, soft pretzel for dinner!