Monday, July 11, 2016

LOST MY DRAWERS


Our refrigerator is about 12 years old. We got it because it is small and fits in the tiny space available for it in our kitchen. We LOVED the color BLACK... and we searched high and low, to find a refrigerator that was... because it wasn't trending then... even though all our other appliances were that color. Throughout the years...our fridge has served us well... holding casserole dishes, assorted meats, vegetables, fruits and condiments, not to mention our favorite beverages. But the other day, a drawer in the bottom of the refrigerator began acting suspicious. When my husband pulled on it, it responded like it had been glued shut.  He fiddled with it and it eventually opened. He got what he needed and forgot about it. ENTER me a day or two later. Having never notified me of the situation he encountered, it once again reared it’s ugly head. Problems have a tendency to do that if you IGNORE them. I was having a craving for the Rainier cherries so I went to pull the drawer out to get them and my hand slipped. Besides getting it sprained, when I tugged, the front of the drawer cracked and pulled right off in my hand.  


(click on photo to enlarge)

Suddenly I was DRAWERLESS. Quite a spectacle indeed. Then my hubby told me his story. Since the damage was done,  we went online looking for a replacement. It took a while to match part numbers to the right model fridge, but we did and placed an order. It cost $75. OUCH. Three days later the drawer arrived. And my husband gleefully installed it happy to solve a problem so quickly. He proudly showed me his work with the following caveat… because the refrigerator is so old, he told me… the new drawer doesn’t EXACTLY match the old one.  Me being anal about such things… went into the kitchen to see it.


I’m curious WHAT YOU THINK? Should I be thrilled... or upset at what our $75 bought. 


PS) I posted this story at 3 AM but it did not appear in the feed until late this afternoon. Almost 10 hours later? What's up with that BLOGGER?. 



14 comments:

Paula said...

Aww its okay. I like for things to match but with John I might get purple with yellow.

betty said...

I wouldn't worry too much about it. You won't be in the fridge that often and it really doesn't look too bad. Glad that your husband was able to fix it!

betty

Lisa said...

Two different drawers would drive me crazy but you can pretend its suppoe to be that way by putting meat in the white one to block light and veggies in the clear one.
Lisa

jack69 said...

You may as well be happy, it is hard to find exactly what you want in refer parts. You could have probably searched and found a whole refrig for less, not working, but like us where would you put the rest of the dude after removing it's drawers?
Smile and live with it.

jack69 said...

Hey, lots of problems with the delayed posts. There have been times my entry was 24 hours late. I do not understand it myself!

Jon said...

First of all, the Blogger feed is absolutely insane. There are many times when I miss blog posts because they don't show up on my dashboard. And when I have a new post it often doesn't show up on the feed for hours.

$75 is a helluva lot of money for a bin drawer, but at least you found a replacement quickly - and I think it looks good despite the minor mismatch.

I used to have two big refrigerators when I lived in Texas. Now I have one small refrigerator, left here by the previous owners. I'm not thrilled with it but I can't afford a new one.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

that would drive me crazy.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh my gosh, Taryterre, blogger is acting up again with us too. My long pictures are off centered and some of the wording......go figure. Well, about your refrigerator drawer.....I guess since it's an older model, you won't get exactly what you want, but at least you tried, and that says a lot. I think it looks fine, but the question is, does it fit or not? You are such a good story teller. I love coming over here and reading your stories cause there's always a little zest in them and they are so charming.

love, ~Sheri

Mevely317 said...

Same here. (With blog posts sitting out in never-never land, that is.)

Yikes, $75?!?!?!! Our frig isn't but 4-5 y/o and two drawers have already cracked along both sides. I figure we'll wait and replace them just before we put the house up for sale. Gosh knows stuff is made so cheaply nowadays, I don't want a repeat.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I'd say you were fortunate to find a drawer. Much cheaper than a new fridge anyway! Blogger has been messing with my posts for quite awhile now. I make them early and they show up late. I don't know what is wrong. Hopefully it rights itself soon!

Angela said...

I would not be happy about the money spent for something that didn't fit exact, but then again, what can you do? It's the fridge you like and it has evidently served you well (these are the things I would tell myself). =)

Plus, I would count myself lucky to have even found a drawer. I never have much luck with that kind of thing.

I would probably grumble a bit and move on.

lotta joy said...

I have enough OCD to personally light up New York with the energy I spend needing things to match. I would be opening the door every ten minutes to see if the color had changed or I had learned to ignore it. But, SEVENTY-FIVE DOLLARS for what looks like a Walmart Rubbermaid storage unit????

Nope. I couldn't accept it, but basically, my dear woman, you really have no choice........"been there. couldn't do it"

Carol Z said...

I'd be content, but I'm not a decorator. My goal in life is the preservation of my appliances. I hate the thought of spending a lot of money replacing them. My refrigerator dates from the early 1990s and isn't the best at keeping ice cream. Otherwise it's okay. I know a new one won't have the same long life as this one and I've learned to love its quirks as long as food keeps cold.

Angela Lambert said...

Hot glasses.I want some the same ,nice subtle cats eyes.