Saturday, July 2, 2016

A FEW WORDS for THE FOURTH


"Fireworks had for her a direct and magical appeal. Their attraction was more complex than that of any other form of art. They had pattern and sequence, colour and sound, brilliance and mobility; they had suspense, surprise, and a faint hint of danger; above all, they had the supreme quality of transience, which puts the keenest edge on beauty and makes it touch some spring in the heart which more enduring excellences cannot reach." (Jan Struther, Mrs. Miniver, 1930s )


"The daylight always fails too soon—except when there are going to be fireworks; and then the sun dawdles intolerably on the threshold like a tedious guest." 
(Jan Struther,  1930s )


HAPPY 4th of JULY


"America celebrates her independence every July 4,  
with family picnics where kids throw Frisbees, 
the potato salad gets iffy, and the flies die from happiness."
Erma Bombeck 

ENJOY



7 comments:

Jon said...

All fantastic quotes. I especially love the first one, which I've never heard before.
Have a wonderful holiday weekend!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Quite an apt description of fireworks. I remember waiting for it to get dark so the fireworks could proceed. Happy Fourth of July !

betty said...

Hope you have a nice 4th! So true about waiting for it to get dark for fireworks; when we were in Montana they wouldn't even go off until about 10:15 p.m., it was then that it was truly dark enough to enjoy the show :)

betty

jack69 said...

I MUST AGREE with Jon, fantastic quotes. Thanks.
Happy Fourth and enjoy every minute of it.!

I love Independence Day!

Mevely317 said...

I too, love that first quote!

Call me an odd ball, but fireworks' displays have never held extraordinary appeal for me. On the other hand, give me a box of sparklers and I'm a Happy Camper!

Red Rose Alley said...

One of my favorite Fourth of July posts yet, Taryterre. :)
That's a great description of fireworks and more.

Happy 4th of July, my friend!

love, ~Sheri

Paula said...

Have a nice 4th of July and don't let your potato salad get iffy. I like that quote because I love potato salad but i'm very suspicious of it in hot weather.