Tuesday, January 17, 2017

BAG LADY LOVES SACHETS


I grew up in a family of tea drinkers. My dad and Nana both started their mornings with a cup of Lipton Tea. One bag, with two or three lumps of sugar.  And a splash of creamer. Then they’d have another cup  following the supper hour. Back in the day... to drink tea... you had to put the kettle on, then wait for the whistle, to let you know the water was ready.  



My mom had a Revere Ware kettle that was always polished and ready to use. When I got older I mimicked my relatives adding tea drinking in my own life. Only I kicked it up a notch, and drank Constant Comment by Bigelow. And when I poured my water  it came from a charming Copper kettle. To this day, I do not drink coffee at all. An occasional cup of Chai or African Autumn is often on my menu. But truth be told I’ve gotten finicky about my tea, as I’ve aged.  I now exclusively use Hot Cinnamon Spice by Harney & Sons which comes in SACHETS, not bags… which are housed in pretty tins. Perfect for gift giving and receiving. It is the one luxury I afford myself. And, though I have a bright RED kettle on the stove, I’ve cut my brewing time down immensely by NOT using it. My husband has a Keurig coffee maker that has proven to be pretty handy to this tea drinker. We all know the right teacup or mug makes tea drinking, a special event, not just an everyday occurrence. SO... once you have the drinking vessel chosen… you just sit it under the coffee dispenser WITHOUT a pod, push a button, and get hot water  at the right temperature... instantly. So simple. And it makes for a joyous TEA experience each time... without waiting for the whistle to blow... 


Though I do miss the routine of the past, every now and then.

12 comments:

Paula said...

You make tea drinking look so relaxing. I don't drink hot tea but I sure like my Keurig.

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

I've made note of the tea you drink and will be on the look out for it. I drink coffee in the morning but afternoons and evenings often switch to tea. I do love constant Comment and use my Kuerig for the hot water too. The tea kettle still sits on the stove, but not used much at all anymore.

betty said...

I go through stages where I'll drink tea. Haven't in a bit. Might have to get some tea next week at the store. I do like using my Keurig with the hot water to make apple cider. Enjoy!

betty

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i just bought some new teas and plan on using them soon.

Mevely317 said...

Last year I made (what I thought was) a concerted effort to enjoy hot tea ... unfortunately, to no avail. I've still a cupboard full of Irish Breakfast tea, so I may try, try again.

Meanwhile, Harney & Sons sachet tea is a great idea for gift-giving!
I agree, the 'perfect' vessel (cup) makes sipping so much more enjoyable.

Red Rose Alley said...

Taryterre, I still make tea the old-fashioned way with the tea pot on the stove. I don't know which I like better, coffee or tea, but I do love tea time. That's nice that you took on the tradition of your dad and Nana's and have a cup of tea during the day. The hot cinnamon spice sounds delightful. The copper kettles are really in right now, and have been looking for one. But there's nothing like a red kettle on the stove. :)

What a lovely tea post, Taryterre.

~Sheri

ps I love your tea cup "It's blogging day." That is so cute. Wish I had one too.

Carol Z said...

I'm a coffee drinker. I make an effort to like tea every once in awhile, and anyone stopping by would think I love tea. I have at least six different kinds. Still not a fan.

jack69 said...

For awhile I made green tea when I read 'you live forever' if you drank it. LOL Then I switched to the pre-made green tea.
I had some good hot-tea with my Chinese yesterday. Our family was always sweet iced tea drinkers down this way. BUT I do love a good hot tea on occasion.
neat post!

Lisa said...

Ive never been a hot tea drinker. I like my tea cold and sweet. I have always wanted to try hot black tea with cream and sugar. I heard its really good.
Meanwhile, I drink too much coffee.
Lisa

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, I didn't see your red tea pot the last time I visited. Love that!

The bird on my pictures today is the Blue Jay. They are such a pretty color of blue, but I don't like their call very much - it's loud and piercing.

Have a nice Wednesday, Taryterre. It's raining hard here today.

~Sheri

Weekend-Windup said...

In my family i only have no interest in drinking tea, all others love to drink it whenever they want. It would be a bog job for me to make and clean them always...

Danielle L Zecher said...

I think tea is so much better than coffee. We have a Keurig at work. I've never thought about using it for tea, but that's a really good idea.