Sunday, January 22, 2017

IT STINKS


A few years back… my mom and dad who live halfway across the country… bemoaned a plague worse than death… STINKBUGS. They were beside themselves because these ugly varmints were hugging one side of their house so that the color had changed from cream to brown. They were camped inside the window jams and basically were a pain in the butt. Eliminating them was near impossible according to one exterminator after another. And the most pressing issue was the smell they emanated when you killed them. It was by all accounts just HORRIBLE. We sympathized with my parents and wished them well. Eventually the bad bugs dissipated and that was the end of it… until here and now at our house.



We now have STINKBUGS and they are driving us crazy. They simply can NOT be ignored.  A dozen turned up throughout the house, and we squished them taking their crusty carcasses outside. We thought that was it. WRONG! The pesky things keep showing up everywhere. The bathroom, the family room. I plugged my cellphone in to charge it and there were two STINKBUGS. I popped a top on a cream soda, sat it on my desk to drink it… turned around and guess what,  there was one STINKBUG about to dive in. GROSS. Sitting on the couch we’ve had a handful fly into the carpet in front of us. They circle the lights attracted by the brightness at night. And just this afternoon we discovered yet another STINKBUG floating in a mug…. put in the kitchen sink. We’ve been told the same thing my parents have, these BUGS are practically invincible. Bug spray does no good. When you smash them, they emit an odor that attracts more of the bugs to the area. Our question is WHERE are they coming in from???? We’ve sealed every place we can think of to keep them out. If we could find that source perhaps we could eliminate part of the problem. These things look prehistoric. Their bodies are in the shape of a shield. Have any of you had SINKBUGS? Do you know what to do to discourage them or have a way to RID the premises of them? Enlighten us please. HELP! Meanwhile, I’m taking no chances.


LIDS cover everything and I carry a big FLYSWATTER.




11 comments:

jack69 said...

I feel for you. Have no advice. We get one or two every once in a while but invaded, Imma 'fraid I would be yelling loud enough to scare them (I hope) I do hope someone has the answer. Do not give them our address!

betty said...

Ick!! Have no idea how to help you eliminate them. I guess they are a hearty bug too if they show up in the winter months! I can only hope they decide your house is not where they want to reside and they head to another victim's place. I'm sure you have googled stinkbugs and ways to eliminate them?

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Thankfully, I've only seen one or two ever here at my house, but one of sons assured me the best way to ket rid of them is using the sweeper to suck them up and dispose of them. He had quite a few at the time. Hope it works for you and they are soon goon.. Remember nothing lasts forever, even stink bugs. I'm thinking that if you've had warmer weather like we have, they think it's spring.

Jean said...

I don't see many around here in the house(yet)but outside. I feel for you and hope you can get rid of them soon.

Mevely317 said...

I've never heard of those creatures!
... Have you considered straight ammonia? When living in Texas, former house guests brought with them weevils - which soon became an infestation. 'Thought I was going to lose my mind, but eventually the ammonia did the trick.

jaz@octoberfarm said...

we had them really bad here 2 years ago. most of them have moved on to places with more food. if you are seeing them now, they are already inside and the warm weather wakes them up. they come inside in september to winter over. there is only one thing that kills them. mix dawn liquid soap with water and a touch of rubbing alcohol in a spray bottle. they breathe through their shells so when they are sprayed with this mixture, the dawn covers the shell and they die. the alcohol helps the dawn to spread easier over their shells. just use a small bit. it kills them almost instantly. it's a miracle. as you can tell i was obsessed. if you do find an opening around a window or door where they get in, fill it with steel wool. they can't get through it. cold is their enemy so the colder you keep your house, the better!

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh No, Taryterre. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this issue. I have never even heard of STINKBUGS! I'm wondering if there's another name for them that I would be familiar with? What a nuisance these bugs are, and they're invading your house, and to make it worse, it sounds like the smell is awful. I do hope you get some answers about this weird little bug, and please keep us informed about it. It will be interesting to hear what happens.

love, ~Sheri

Jon said...

I somehow accidentally deleted my previous comment - so I'll try again.
I've seen stink bugs in California and Texas, but so far not here in Tennessee. I'm sure I will eventually - since I have everything else.

I've heard that stink bugs can be killed with soapy water. Use any dish washing liquid (Dawn is supposed to work the best).
Put in several teaspoons per quart of water (I'd probably use even more soap).

Or you could try ammonia, like Myra suggested.

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I'm not sure what a stinkbug is, but they sound ghastly and I hope you find a way to get rid of them! Good luck!

Ellen in Oregon said...

Stinkbugs are a modern plaque spreading across most of the USA now. In the fall they squeeze through windows, cracks & even the slightest cracks. They sense the cold is coming & cold puts them into a light coma for most of the winter. I notice that when then we get a warm spell above 45 degrees, these sleeping uglies wake-up and wander around looking for food thinking spring has arrived. If they escape humans fascination ho with smashing them or flushing them down the loo, they go back to sleep until true spring arrives. Then they march en mass out of your lovely home to bask on the sunny sides of your house. They disappear at the end of spring, but will return around September. When the stinkers first appeared at my house, I made the mistake of sucking them up with my much loved Dyson vacuum. The stench still fills the air every time I use the vacuum cleaner 10 years later. Now I just keep junk mail post cards around the house & every time I see one I get them to hop on the card & deposit them outside. Even though my efforts are futile, I feel I am doing my part to keep the population at bay. Best of luck!

Lisa said...

Oh gosh I know what your going through. I never had them in my house unless one was stuck to my clothes. They only come out in warm temperatures. They dissapear in Cold weather and in hot weather so you may suffer during the spring and fall. I googled these pest once and learned a lot about them. They are attracted to light and WHITE. I had a white car and went to get in it after work and it was covered with Kudzu bugs (stink bugs). I even traded my car for a black one. THe past couple years dont seem as bad as they were.
Lisa