Monday, January 30, 2017

BROKEN LAMP & SHATTERED MEMORIES


When I was growing up my Nana had a dresser top full of things I adored. Seemed every square inch was occupied with something. Most important to dress up the furniture, she had an elegant translucent white lace doily that covered the top. Remember doilies? In the center was a small pot of purple African violets. And then, off to the side, was an ornate very old lamp. When she passed away I was given the lamp. I treasured it with all my heart for many years. It was extremely fragile and delicate though, so I always took precautions to tread carefully around it. But one day while in a hurry to clean up, it fell out of my hands to the floor and shattered into a million pieces. I was devastated. That part of my grandmother was now gone. All I managed to salvage were the broken heads of the figural Victorian couple in it. Everything else was destroyed. I cried and cried. I was so mad at myself for letting this happen. Over time the hurt got easier to deal with and I moved on… by buying myself another antique lamp, similar but different to the one my Nana had on her dresser.  Have you ever had a beloved treasure or family heirloom leave you empty handed with a broken heart?


8 comments:

betty said...

That is a shame about the lamp; sounds like a wonderful grandmother you had, I know you have written about her before. So fun to explore what she had on her dresser. I do remember doilies; my mom had a few when we were growing up. I haven't had any treasured things be destroyed. I haven't had a lot of things I considered treasured :)

betty

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

Yes, I have been there and done that myself several times. It's very upsetting when we loose those treasures. Finding one like it is a blessing for sure. I keep any eye out in antique stores for doilies and found one recently just like one I remember at my grandmothers house. I bought it and have plans to frame it.

jack69 said...

I think I understand how you feel. I don't remember ever breaking anything very special, but I HAVE LOST and MISPLACED irreplaceable items from the past. Moving so much it was hard to keep up with things and at times over looked the Memory holders.

Mevely317 said...

Aw, dang it!
Yes, I totally understand what it's like to lose an inanimate - but precious - article.
You'll continue to cherish it in your mind's eye; and I like to think, that would make your Nana smile.

Susan said...

Ohhhhh, Taryterre, I was sorry to read about your beloved Grammie's lamp. That was a shame. I've had things I loved break and yes, it does not feel good, but then, eventually, other material things come into life. Then we can be happy again. And oh! Those stinkbugs. They, well, really, they "stink." Thanks for your faithful visits. You are the best! Susan

Paula said...

Sorry about your lamp. I remember dollies and I have a few but none of the ones they used to starch the sides stiff so they stood up. I also have several dresser scarfs that I embroidered. I used to love to do that. Starched those and ironed them.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh, the one you bought looks very much like your Nana's lamp. That's too bad her lamp broke, but you found a beautiful one to replace it. Yes, I remember the doilies. I just found out that my brother has a few of my mom's that I can have. I love the crocheted ones, those are my favorite. Your Nana's dresser with all those treasures on top sounds wonderful. I'd love to see that. :)

Happy February, Taryterre!

love, ~Sheri

Cheryl @ TFD said...

I'm sorry about the broken lamp. I don't recall breaking any treasures, but I have regretted not keeping things thinking I didn't want them any longer. Which is why now that I'm into purging/organizing that it's so hard to toss or give away things. It's almost like giving up part of that person that used to own it!