Monday, January 2, 2017

INITIAL IT, BIG R


A while back… our local Walmart, up and moved to a  different location. That left the old building vacant, sitting there, waiting to be sold. After 4 or 5 years of being empty, it finally did. So… a new store moved in to occupy it’s walls, with little if any remodeling, to utilize the space. It’s called BIG R. It specializes in western clothes, boots, belts, farm & ranch stuff, food, candy and pet food, including bird seed.



And surprisingly, it also carries Alfred Dunner clothes too, which tend to be a bit more upscale and seemingly out of character for this kind of place. But,  I enjoyed looking though the Dunner clothes and trying some pieces on. Though… they were a bit too pricey for me, since I thrift my wardrobe.



The dressing rooms in BIG R are in the round, inside a small silo. It makes for an interesting  experience.


 So does shopping there in general, for a ‘citified’ person. When you come into the store you are greeted by the aroma and sound of fresh popping popcorn.

And they hand you a small  bag of it… to eat, to enhance your shopping fun. MINE was gone in a heartbeat. YUM!


They have quite an interesting inventory of old fashioned foods and candy, as well. Two things my parents always had in the pantry, from back in the day… were Circus Peanuts, that orange marshmallow-y delight. (They were invented in the 1800’s and are considered one of the original PENNY candies.) And in lieu of potato chips or potato sticks, at BIG R… I found that classic country snack, my parents still adore… pork rinds. Their origin as a snack food dates way back too. Made me smile... thinking of my folk's... sweet and savory treats. So of course... I had to buy a bag of both, the peanuts and the rinds. Not diet food, I know... but hey, when good childhood memories beckon, you listen.  Thank you BIG R for moving in. You made my day. You were not the department store I was expecting to settle into this space, but one I enjoyed visiting, nonetheless.

 

14 comments:

Jon said...

Big R sounds a lot more interesting than Walmart. Nobody ever gave me free popcorn - and I've never seen silo dressing rooms. I certainly remember Circus Peanuts and those orange marshmallowy things. My father used to LOVE pork rinds. I was never fond of them as a kid, but I'm sure I'd like them better now (in my rapidly advancing age).

jaz@octoberfarm said...

i've never heard of big r before. so cool! happy new year!

I'm mostly known as 'MA' said...

We too have an old Walmart stop sitting vacant. They moved to the other side of town and the traffic there is very congested. It was much better where it was. Hopefully something like your big R moves in our way too. Happy New Year! Enjoy your shopping!

jack69 said...

I hope the BIG-R does well. It bothers me to see a perfectly good building going to seed. I love it when someone can come in and use it without razing and rebuilding, always seems such a waste to this builder. USE IT. I like that.
Good post, oh how I used to love Pork rinds. Oh yes and the smell of pop corn is SMART!
Good one lady!

betty said...

I'm glad the building was re-purposed. I hate to see vacant buildings and then new buildings being constructed close by. Sounds like a great store to explore!

betty

Mevely317 said...

How fun! I'd be so taken with dressing up in a silo. :)

I'd quite forgotten those Circus Peanuts ... but the pork rinds are a regular resident of our pantry -- at least when I'm being diligent about cutting carbs and still crave something crunchy.

Red Rose Alley said...

Oh my gosh, pork rinds! I think one either loves them or dislikes them, and I really like them. And I remember the orange marshmallow treats too. wow, these go way back. This looks like a delightful store, and even better that they make fresh popcorn while you're shopping. I guess if you don't have a Walmart anymore, this is the next best thing.

Are you back to blogging? I must put you back on my side bar! Happy New Year, Taryterre!

love, ~Sheri

Cheryl @ TFD said...

This looks like a neat store to visit. And what a great way to entice those first time customers...to serve popcorn! Yum. I wish them much success. Happy New Year!

Angela said...

Sounds like a neat place to shop.

Happy New Year!

baili said...

wonderful place .
i cannot resist the aroma of popcorn !
i too really miss old fashioned foods .i am glad that there were hardly such fast foods available then ,how harmful they are but young generation is mad about it .
Happy new year friend!

Susan said...

Oh Taryterre, Big R sounds like fun. I love exploring new stores. (Wish a few would open around here. Sometimes I feel like we are in a buried burg. ha ha ha)

Hope you have a nice rest of the day and week as well. Susan

Pam Kessler said...

I want to get dressed in that silo!!! That's the cutest idea. BTW, did you know that the circus peanuts have a banana taste??? Maybe it's because they're orange and look like peanuts or something, but I've eaten those for 50 years and never once thought they tasted like banana.

Danielle L Zecher said...

That's awesome that they give you popcorn.

Paula said...

Humm wonder why I've been missing your posts. Our Walmart built a new one and now Tractor Supply is there and Bealls. We used to could see it from our living room. Now its all built up to where we can't see it.