Saturday, September 5, 2009

HOW SWEET

I live in the suburbs, and it’s rare to see wildlife... except birds, chipmunks and squirrels. Of course... there is always, the random, raccoon or possum, DEAD, on the side of the road. It just makes me sick to my stomach, to see how they met their fate. And how... cars and trucks, continue to run over them, flattening them out like pancakes. But such is life, in the animal kingdom, since humankind has encroached on their territory. I personally have never hit an animal when driving, and hope I never do. I would fret about it for weeks. However, the other day, for the first time, I came close… too close for comfort. As I was making my way to the store, I encountered a situation, of sorts. It was the perfect scene for a picture postcard… but potentially dangerous for yours truly. There in the middle of the road, as I rounded the corner, was a full-grown DEER. I immediately slammed on the brakes. The car skidded to a halt. The deer stood there and stared at me, as I stared back at it. Each of us silently wondering, what the other one was doing there? Standing her ground, the deer turned her gaze towards the other side of the road… I too turned, to see what she was looking at. There, frolicking near a driveway, were two of her babies. Cuter than pie, they followed their mother out into the roadway… her attention now completely diverted from me. Then, in the bat of an eye… the three of them, ran off in the woods, near the railroad tracks... as I looked on. I was awestruck. "How sweet", I thought. Then, with just seconds to spare... I saw headlights in my rearview mirror, and knew it was time, to step on the gas, before I got HIT from behind. The second time in one night, I avoided an accident. Lucky me! Nature has a way of creeping up on you, when you least suspect it.

No comments: