Thursday, November 19, 2009

THANKSGIVING

Pumpkins are still sitting out and about… a large LEAF wreath, greets visitors to my front door... a burnt orange tablecloth covers my dining room table, and a ceramic turkey sits on my countertop. I’m in Thanksgiving mode. Last year, our youngest daughter made the long trek home, from St. Louis… so we had a nice home cooked meal with her. Amazingly, she even helped me in the kitchen, with dinner preparations and it was great fun. We’ll miss her this year… she’s now living in Tacoma, Washington and won’t be here to celebrate the holiday. My folks popped in to visit us, back in October, from the East Coast, so they won’t be here, either. (Hopefully, we’ll see them again, in the spring.) And... since our older daughter always celebrates with her in-laws, that leaves the hubby and me, all alone for Thanksgiving, this year. My stove is still broken… so I have to buy a NEW one, and get it delivered here, in time for the holiday. BUT... since that’s probably NOT going to happen, alternative plans needed to be made for dinner. At first glance, it appeared all our local restaurants were going to be closed for Turkey Day, leaving us in a lurch. What to do? Fortunately, I bought a newspaper, last weekend... and in it, I saw a small ad for a local cafe, hosting Family Style dinners for Thanksgiving Day, from 11 am to 7 pm. The menu includes… Slow roasted Tom Turkey, Citrus Glazed Virginia Ham, Pecan Caramelized Sweet Potatoes, Traditional Celery Dressing, Fresh orange Zest Cranberry Salad, Steamed Green Beans with Slivered Almonds, Fresh Baked Pumpkin Pie and Apple Crisp. YUMMY! No cleanup either. I’d spend MORE money on groceries if I had a working kitchen. I made RESERVATIONS. We’ll get the new stove for Christmas.

No comments: