Sunday, November 1, 2009

LEAVES & AUTUMN

Autumn is here… winter is edging closer. The crisp cool air has a bite to it. The leaves on the trees are painting the fall sky with spectacular colors. And the leaves on the ground are providing a delightful crunch, as you walk. My neighbors, meanwhile… are driving me crazy. Everyday I hear the endless drone of lawnmowers. Mind you, they aren’t cutting the grass. It has stopped growing. No… they are attempting to rid the world of fallen leaves. With trees all around, they think they can beat nature at it’s own game. It’s not going to happen, folks. I gave up a long time ago. Let them fall. But, onward they trudge… plowing their way through the leaves, either cutting them up or picking them up, one day at a time. This is an impossible task. There is no way to keep up with it. But each day, they do battle with the trees in their yards, trying to. To them the downed leaves are a nuisance. To me, they’re a gift. At some point you’d think logic would win out. The trees are going to continue to drop their leaves… and, there is no way you’re going to get them all, until they‘re done. So… give it up, until the branches are EMPTY… then, tackle this chore. That’s what I do, and I don‘t lose any sleep over it. Sometimes, even Mother Nature helps, by providing a couple days, of gusty wind… to sweep them away. I embrace the season and all the wonders of it, including falling leaves… don’t you?

1 comment:

Sonya said...

I know, I'm with you. I feel a bit guilty as I know the neighbors LOVE their lawns manicured to the MAX but I love the look of fallen leaves. If they are not going to stay on the trees in their beauty, let's at least enjoy the crunch and their beauty upon the ground...until the last leaf falls. lol I know our neighbors do not like us in the fall, but we have an entire woods behind us and the north winds blow and it is truly impossible...it's not like a tree or two but a hundred. lol